The NACA Music, Art & General Creativity Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 49

Some sort of pampas grass/yucca type plant on the right.

Noted ;)
Is that you keeps driving past slowly Tool ?

Ian H

Guru
One of my great aunts [centre].
DSC_0193~2.jpg

Mr Celine

One of my great aunts [centre].
View attachment 3470

How about a great-great uncle?

trackbike1.jpg

I found this mounted but unframed print when clearing out the parents' house a couple of years ago. It was rather faded, battered and bruised but two hours on photoshop brought it back to life.

JackRowleytrackbike.jpg

While zoomed in at pixel level the real artistry of the photographer became apparent. There is a barely noticeable horizontal line underneath Uncle Jack's left hand which I thought at first was a digital artefact from the scanner.
rope.jpg

This is actually the rope that was holding him upright. Shutter speeds weren't fast enough in 1894 to freeze a moving cyclist and no one could trackstand that steady. The enlargement shows where the photographer has 'burned' the print where the white rope crosses the dark shadowed parts of the fence. Very fiddly work and if overdone the print is ruined. Overdo it in photoshop you just hit 'esc' and try again.

Last edited:

Ian H

Guru
One for Silva from the other place to try.

I'm sure he'd keep it squeaky clean.

AndyRM

Elder Goth
How about a great-great uncle?

View attachment 3498
I found this mounted but unframed print when clearing out the parents' house a couple of years ago. It was rather faded, battered and bruised but two hours on photoshop brought it back to life.

View attachment 3496

While zoomed in at pixel level the real artistry of the photographer became apparent. There is a barely noticeable horizontal line underneath Uncle Jack's left hand which I thought at first was a digital artefact from the scanner.
View attachment 3500
This is actually the rope that was holding him upright. Shutter speeds weren't fast enough in 1894 to freeze a moving cyclist and no one could trackstand that steady. The enlargement shows where the photographer has 'burned' the print where the white rope crosses the dark shadowed parts of the fence. Very fiddly work and if overdone the print is ruined. Overdo it in photoshop you just hit 'esc' and try again.

I like both versions of this a lot. I think I actually prefer the un 'Shopped version, but I can see why you did it.

Reactions: C R

Ian H

Guru
The two photos are no more than two or three years apart.
Here's the same great aunt on the right of this group in about 1956 (three sisters together with brother & his wife).
DSC_0196~2.JPG

Top Bottom