The NACA Music, Art & General Creativity Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

FishFright

If I can find them, and if I can figure out how to use Soundcloud, I can put up some absolutely banging sets of very badly mixed early naughties schranz and acid techno...

Mixcloud is easier going for DJ sets. No limits on uploads and they occasionally pay the artists a teeny bit for the songs you play.

I play all sorts of rubbish but love the funky stuff.
https://www.mixcloud.com/Le_Capt_est_de_retour/

Ian H

Guru
I love (almost all) music, especially live music, but my musical skills are utterly abysmal. The absolute best I can manage is to clap in time (ish).

Ian H

Guru
Another phone work. Digital art is weird. It is at once strangely sterile and very satisfying. The big downside for me is the absence of any tactile feeling - or messiness if you prefer.
scribmaster.jpg

Rusty Nails

Country Member
I don't know much about music, art or creativity but I know what I like.

Sometimes I like stuff I don't really like.

D

Deleted member 49

If anyone could explain what the point of my art was I'd probally give it up !
Shamelessly stolen from my artist partner.

winjim

Welcome yourself into the new modern crisis
I love (almost all) music, especially live music, but my musical skills are utterly abysmal. The absolute best I can manage is to clap in time (ish).

To be fair, my method of playing two records at once is not much more advanced than that.

Clatter, bang, boom, and try and keep 'em vaguely in time.

OP
OP
Xipe Totec

Xipe Totec

Something nasty in the woodshed
To be fair, my method of playing two records at once is not much more advanced than that.

Clatter, bang, boom, and try and keep 'em vaguely in time.

That's pretty much my approach to playing and recording music.

studio3.jpg

winjim

That's pretty much my approach to playing and recording music.

View attachment 2014

Where did you get that picture of me? I used to spend far too much time sat in my pants getting stoned and making silly noises on synths without ever accomplishing anything musical.

I did take a 303 and a 606 out to parties and play a bit of acid, that was quite fun. All very simple stuff, no production quality, just a drum machine, a synth and a distortion pedal.

My mixer was a Stanton thing designed for scratching with really harsh curves on all the faders and crap EQ. So I never bothered learning to blend records together nicely, I would just throw them roughly in the direction of each other and hope for the best. It seemed to work OK most of the time for the sort of techno I was playing.

OP
OP
Xipe Totec

Xipe Totec

Where did you get that picture of me? I used to spend far too much time sat in my pants getting stoned and making silly noises on synths without ever accomplishing anything musical.

I did take a 303 and a 606 out to parties and play a bit of acid, that was quite fun. All very simple stuff, no production quality, just a drum machine, a synth and a distortion pedal.

My mixer was a Stanton thing designed for scratching with really harsh curves on all the faders and crap EQ. So I never bothered learning to blend records together nicely, I would just throw them roughly in the direction of each other and hope for the best. It seemed to work OK most of the time for the sort of techno I was playing.

I almost bought a TB303 back when they were cheap & easy to get hold of - probably would have if I'd been less brassic. As a 'proper' bassist I was intrigued by the idea (if not necessarily the reality) of a machine designed to make me redundant! My own stuff has seldom leaned towards anything you could realistically dance to, but can't help wondering what I would've come up with 30-odd years ago.

As a bonus, I could have sold it & bought the studio in the top pic.

winjim

I almost bought a TB303 back when they were cheap & easy to get hold of - probably would have if I'd been less brassic. As a 'proper' bassist I was intrigued by the idea (if not necessarily the reality) of a machine designed to make me redundant! My own stuff has seldom leaned towards anything you could realistically dance to, but can't help wondering what I would've come up with 30-odd years ago.

As a bonus, I could have sold it & bought the studio in the top pic.

I've recently started playing guitar again so I'll be interested to see if I can use the 303 and 606 for their original intended purpose. They seem to have kept their value despite Roland and others finally getting round to making some decent clones.

I did have an 808 but I sold it when our first kid came along. It was nice but less convenient to take out to parties. Silky smooth sound once it had warmed up compared to the 606 which is a bouncy little thing. It's a bit limited but I love the 606 sound. The hihats are the best.

fozy tornip

fozympotent
As a sometimes bothyist there are few sights more dispiriting, as you settle down in front of a fire of an evening after a long day in the remote hills, than the sight of company trudging in across the moor with the silhouette of a guitar case distinctive against the evening sky.
Several hours later:
"..and this one's a wee dirge I composed in memory of my dear old mam.."

OP
OP
Xipe Totec

Xipe Totec

I've recently started playing guitar again so I'll be interested to see if I can use the 303 and 606 for their original intended purpose. They seem to have kept their value despite Roland and others finally getting round to making some decent clones.

I did have an 808 but I sold it when our first kid came along. It was nice but less convenient to take out to parties. Silky smooth sound once it had warmed up compared to the 606 which is a bouncy little thing. It's a bit limited but I love the 606 sound. The hihats are the best.

I nearly did buy an 808 - however the advent of affordable digital drum boxes put me off & I eventually ended up with a 505, the cut-down cheapo version of the 707. Still fully programmable (I have never used a preset pattern or a loop!) and the little monochrome grid display made programming ridiculously and unnecessarily complex patterns an absolute doddle.

That was the infancy of my home recording days - recording on 4-track cassette (I had a Fostex X-15), & layering stuff up by bouncing down sub-mixes. Wish I still had the ability to play back those old recordings, but somehow I no longer have anything that plays cassettes.

Quite amazing to think how complex & laborious - and expensive - home recording was back then.

Top Bottom