The Nasty Party (AKA the Tories), it's back!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 28

That, I think, is exactly it, and I think Shep's quite upfront about that. He'll correct me if I'm wrong but I think he believes everyone else really feels the same as he does, and those of us who claim otherwise are being disingenuous, dishonest and are ' virtue signalling'.
I obviously feel for little kids washed up dead on the shoreline, who wouldn't, but I look further than our Government for the blame.

Same with other things, I do feel some people just look for someone else to blame when things don't go well for them though.

I'd love to know what all you people on here do on a daily basis that I don't to help these I appear to show lack of empathy to.

Tanis8472

Regular
You're just bitter and angry, as far as pensions go you need to start planning when you're young not at the last minute so blaming Brexit isn't really the reason is it?

I guess you had nothing in place before 2020 then?

Can't blame others for that surely?
You don't know first thing about me.

Last edited:

Beebo

Veteran
Back on topic.
The u turn appears to throw Paterson under the bus.

But the big picture seems to be Johnson’s upcoming investigation into the wallpaper. Which could see him banned for30days and subject to a recall. Which is why he wants the rules changed.

Beebo

Veteran
Breaking news. Paterson has resigned as an MP.
What a turn of events for a man pleading his innocence up until this morning.

kynikos

Breaking news. Paterson has resigned as an MP.
What a turn of events for a man pleading his innocence up until this morning.

And still is...

Being as he is adamant that the £100k p.a. he's received from the firms involved is due to his expertise and nothing to do with what he's been found guilty of then no doubt he's confident that that source of income will continue.

Perhaps best he doesn't hold is breath awaiting the next cheque...

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
The Cameron/Osborne administration significantly reduced the value of NHS pensions, including removing final salary entitlement, changing the way they are index linked to inflation and increasing employee contributions. There's also been an effective pay freeze, in some cases a pay cut in real terms I think, across the NHS for the period since then which includes all subsequent Tory administrations.

You voted for it, and that's fine if you think it's for the best, it's your right in a democracy. Just take some ownership of it and don't accuse others of poor planning when you have acted to remove their access to the benefits and entitlements which you are taking advantage of yourself.
I think prudent Gordon may have messed about with Company Pension schemes too, limits on reserves and a stealth tax of two.

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
Are those opportunities available to a 16yo joining the workforce today?

What you say about starting a pension early still holds true but you (and I) were, to put it bluntly, lucky. In your early working life you were probably getting tax relief at 30% plus on contributions, more if you hit higher rate. MIRAS freed up cash for your too. You also worked through a time of particularly good investment growth.

A nurse joining the NHS now, post University so say 22, will not have the additional years that one starting in the eighties and trained from scratch on the ward had. They will have to work until they're at least 67/8 and possibly longer. Their 'contributions' will be higher and the benefit less.

It also needs to be pointed out that most public sector schemes are unfunded; Mrs Shep's NHS pension and mine from the Civil Service are paid out of current tax receipts.
It is too long ago for me to remember exactly, but, if I recall, although I started work in a “proper job” at 16, we were not given opportunity to enroll in pension scheme until age 21. That was private company, not public sector.

the tax relief at 30% was because we were paying tax at 30% (or thereabouts).

it is true we Miras, but, we also had substantially higher interest rates.

I didn’t achieve higher rate tax in my 20’s.

Last edited:
Top Bottom