The next General Election....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AndyRM

Elder Goth
Until recently my wife had no acceptable id

I asked my local council for help in getting her a voter id before the last local elections
the answer was that they had put in place what they could - but that the government was not saying exactly what the requirements were for accepting other id and using it to issue a voter id

the problem was that she has no photo id (old driving license and passport well out of date)
and I pay all the bills - for historic reasons

hence she has no way of proving who she is based on the rules

as it happened we decided to go on holiday to Greece so she got a passport
so the problem was got round by paying for it

but if we had not wanted to go abroad then - effectively - she would have had to pay for her to be able to vote

which is wrong no patter how you spin it
unless you can show proof of a major voter fraud problem - which no-one can

The passport thing is interesting - mine had expired but I was told it was acceptable ID, both to show who I was and also to sign up for the ID form thing, which I did for no particular reason other than that I could.

It's got my married name on it too, which isn't the one I'm registered to vote with, so the whole system is pretty flawed. When I lived in Sunderland I was somehow on the electoral role twice as well!

AndyRM

Elder Goth
Interesting, but, my point was that postal votes are easier to “fiddle”.

Possibly, but next to nobody bothers (with voter fraud in general in the UK):

https://www.electoralcommission.org...lectoral-fraud-data/2022-electoral-fraud-data

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
Possibly, but next to nobody bothers (with voter fraud in general in the UK):

https://www.electoralcommission.org...lectoral-fraud-data/2022-electoral-fraud-data

Probably true. For a GE, in the area I live (and you, I would suspect) it would be necessary to "fix" thousands of votes to make a difference, so, only really applicable to marginal seats.

I would have thought that local elections are more "fixable" because turn-outs are lower, and, margins smaller in terms of absolute numbers of votes.

Not something which has taxed my mind to be honest, but, if I had to cast an opinion, I would have thought that "fixing" candidate selection was more of an issue.

AndyRM

Elder Goth
Probably true. For a GE, in the area I live (and you, I would suspect) it would be necessary to "fix" thousands of votes to make a difference, so, only really applicable to marginal seats.

I would have thought that local elections are more "fixable" because turn-outs are lower, and, margins smaller in terms of absolute numbers of votes.

Not something which has taxed my mind to be honest, but, if I had to cast an opinion, I would have thought that "fixing" candidate selection was more of an issue.

It's not probable.

It just isn't a thing.

albion

Guru
EU elections were the easy fix, turnout being minimal. Farage saw an easy money opportunity. Thus the UK Independence Party was born.

AndyRM

Elder Goth
What isn't?, fixing Candidate Selection?

Voting fraud. It's not a thing in the UK.

Top Bottom