The push for a Natzional Trust....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AuroraSaab

Legendary Member
I would imagine Craig won't give a toss but that seems a particularly nasty and uncalled for comment, even for Naca.

AuroraSaab

Legendary Member
Yes, you're right, it's a storm in a tea-cake, or maybe it's the thin edge of an unpleasant Victoria Sponge slice.

Is there anything that isn't the thin edge of the wedge? When it's something that's important to others but not to you it seems to be dismissed as a culture war/pearl clutching non event. When it's an interested party trying to have a say in the direction of a charity it's the equivalent of Kristallknacht.

I genuinely don't know why you would link Niemoller's prose, which is essentially about 6 million people dying in the gas chambers, to this parochial charity squabble.

D

Deleted member 28

When it's something that's important to others but not to you it seems to be dismissed as a culture war/pearl clutching non event.

Exactly, he made enough fuss about being fined a tenner (or should that be tenna) for losing his Whippit!

D

Deleted member 28

They also don’t like anyone asking questions about whether the houses were built using profits from slave trading

Why not just demolish them and build cheap social housing on the land?

No one forces people to visit these homes so why would someone go and ask questions to the guides that would make them uncomfortable?

Beebo

Veteran

No one forces people to visit these homes so why would someone go and ask questions to the guides that would make them uncomfortable?

What?
No one is suggesting we knock them down, just clarify the history and make them more inclusive.
If it’s a historical fact that a house was built using profits from slavery then that should be addressed and acknowledged. It doesn’t have to make anyone uncomfortable.
For context my Mum is a guide at an NT house in Surrey. She thinks the anti woke brigade are all nuts. You have to move with the times and nothing stands still. Even these beautiful ancient homes have to evolve.

Ian H

Guru

I don't understand why it would make anyone 'uncomfortable' to know how the owners made their money. It never happened without people somewhere being exploited. Why are conservatives so anxious to cancel certain parts of the story?

D

Deleted member 28

I don't understand why it would make anyone 'uncomfortable' to know how the owners made their money. It never happened without people somewhere being exploited. Why are conservatives so anxious to cancel certain parts of the story?

They also don’t like anyone asking questions about whether the houses were built using profits from slave trading

I don't think it was me that said 'they' don't like being asked questions so better ask @Beebo what he/she means.

D

Deleted member 28

Why are conservatives so anxious to cancel certain parts of the story?

Are they, is it 'conservatives' pulling down statues or is it them that are complaining about people doing it because it is part of our history?

I'm confused now.

Are they, is it 'conservatives' pulling down statues or is it them that are complaining about people doing it because it is part of our history?

I'm confused now.

The issue with the Bristol statue was that its siting and the narrative around it made no mention of Colston's wealth, with which he was a generous benefactor, being derived from the slave trade. Attempts to remedy that, over many years, had drawn a blank.

D

Deleted member 28

What?
No one is suggesting we knock them down, just clarify the history and make them more inclusive.
If it’s a historical fact that a house was built using profits from slavery then that should be addressed and acknowledged. It doesn’t have to make anyone uncomfortable.
For context my Mum is a guide at an NT house in Surrey. She thinks the anti woke brigade are all nuts. You have to move with the times and nothing stands still. Even these beautiful ancient homes have to evolve.

So who are 'they' that don't want questions to be asked of them?

I used the phrase uncomfortable as I assumed that 'they' (whoever 'they' are) in your words don't like being asked certain questions?

What is it that the National Trust needs to do to move with the times and how are they not 'inclusive'?

Genuine questions here as I like to visit stately homes nearby, Wightwick Manor is 100yds from my house.

D

Deleted member 28

The issue with the Bristol statue was that its siting and the narrative around it made no mention of Colston's wealth, with which he was a generous benefactor, being derived from the slave trade. Attempts to remedy that, over many years, had drawn a blank.

So if these stately homes don't put up signs saying they were built using slave trade money (if that's the case) it's ok to bulldoze them?

D

Deleted member 28

Why?

What happens if you get some arseh*le come in having a go at your mother for example about the rights and wrongs of it all and starts throwing soup about?

Ok, highly unlikely I know but who does it benefit in your opinion?

I'm walking around somewhere and find out that 300yrs ago the owner was a bit of a tw*t who earned his money from the slave trade, so what benefit do I gain from knowing that?

Some people may boycott certain places which surely can't be a good thing?

mudsticks

Squire

I'm confused now.
Let me help you with your confusion.

It was people who thought we shouldn't have statues glorifying slave traders still standing, without any context, who pulled down Colstons statue.

As Brommers has just pointed out..

People who want the 'whole' history to be told are considered 'wokeists' by some.

The true story of our history includes how we as a nation systematically oppressed, and exploited* the people of other nations, and robbed their resources.to get rich.
When we had an 'Empire'

And also how the working class of this nation were also oppressed and exploited* by the upper classes, also to enrich them

Is it 'woke' to tell the whole truth about our history?? Would it be better to just have only the bits that make the ruling classes look 'great'.??

Or is that just dishonesty?

HTH

*Exploitation that still happens now, but in slightly different ways.

mudsticks

Squire
What?
My mum used to do something similar at a place near where she lived.

Even got into costume as a laundry maid, and went through all the processes involved, to show visiting kids how hard the life of a servant at a 'big house' would have been back then.

Some people would obviously prefer the sanitised, and glorified version of our history, rather than facing up to reality.

Top Bottom