The push for a Natzional Trust....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 28

Let me help you with your confusion.

It was people who thought we shouldn't have statues glorifying slave traders still standing, without any context, who pulled down Colstons statue.

As Brommers has just pointed out..

People who want the 'whole' history to be told are considered 'wokeists' by some.

The true story of our history includes how we as a nation systematically oppressed, and exploited* the people of other nations, and robbed their resources.to get rich.
When we had an 'Empire'

And also how the working class of this nation were also oppressed and exploited* by the upper classes, also to enrich them

Is it 'woke' to tell the whole truth about our history?? Would it be better to just have only the bits that make the ruling classes look 'great'.??

Or is that just dishonesty?

HTH

*Exploitation that still happens now, but in slightly different ways.

I'm not confused at all thanks, I'll ask you the same question as I did the other one.

If a stately home built with slave trade money doesn't show any reference is it fair game to bulldoze it?

D

Deleted member 28

My mum used to do something similar at a place near where she lived.

Even got into costume as a laundry maid, and went through all the processes involved, to show visiting kids how hard the life of a servant at a 'big house' would have been back then.

Some people would obviously prefer the sanitised, and glorified version of our history, rather than facing up to reality.

I bet you were squirming!

D

Deleted member 28

Let me help you with your confusion.

It was people who thought we shouldn't have statues glorifying slave traders still standing, without any context, who pulled down Colstons statue.

As Brommers has just pointed out..

People who want the 'whole' history to be told are considered 'wokeists' by some.

The true story of our history includes how we as a nation systematically oppressed, and exploited* the people of other nations, and robbed their resources.to get rich.
When we had an 'Empire'

And also how the working class of this nation were also oppressed and exploited* by the upper classes, also to enrich them

Is it 'woke' to tell the whole truth about our history?? Would it be better to just have only the bits that make the ruling classes look 'great'.??

Or is that just dishonesty?

HTH

*Exploitation that still happens now, but in slightly different ways.

Soap box alert!

mudsticks

Squire
I'm not confused at all thanks, I'll ask you the same question as I did the other one.

If a stately home built with slave trade money doesn't show any reference is it fair game to bulldoze it?
Nobody ever suggested it was.
You're just making ridiculous shoot up, like a very low budget tabloid journalist.

Are they, is it 'conservatives' pulling down statues or is it them that are complaining about people doing it because it is part of our history?

I'm confused now.
You also seem to be confused, as to whether or not you're confused :laugh:
I bet you were squirming!
Why would I be 'squirming' at something that my mum happily spent time doing in her retirement?

Reactions: C R

Beebo

Veteran

I think the whole storey needs to be told.

https://harewood.org/about/the-foundation-of-harewood/

Harewood isn’t owned by NT, but it does acknowledge its history.
The actor David Harewood is a descendant of slaves and his family were given their name as they were “owned” by the Lord of the Manor.

I don’t understand the relevance of bulldozers.
Maybe the should lose some funding or charitable status.

Ian H

Guru
Are they, is it 'conservatives' pulling down statues or is it them that are complaining about people doing it because it is part of our history?

I'm confused now.

The statue was pulled down because, in glorifying Colston's self-aggrandising philanthropy, it in effect cancelled the history of his lethal exploitation of others to make his fortune.
Note also that there was much opposition to the statue when it was first proposed, well over 100yrs after the man himself had died. It was a political riposte to the erection of a statue of Burke who opposed the slave trade and colonial oppression.

D

Deleted member 28

I don’t understand the relevance of bulldozers.
Maybe the should lose some funding or charitable status.

The relevance is that everyone on here thinks it fine to pull down a statue because no reference was made to his past so why wouldn't it apply to a building?

Beebo

Veteran
The relevance is that everyone on here thinks it fine to pull down a statue because no reference was made to his past so why wouldn't it apply to a building?

OK. But removing a small statue that most people either dislike or have never heard of is a bit different to knocking down a huge house which has historical significance, enjoyed by thousands of visitors and which employs many people.

mudsticks

Squire
OK. But removing a small statue that most people either dislike or have never heard of is a bit different to knocking down a huge house which has historical significance, enjoyed by thousands of visitors and which employs many people.

nOpE.

c'MoN bE hOnEsT now bEeBs .

iTs eXaCkeRtLy THE SaMe THING.!!!

And yOu nOeS iT !!!!!

p.s. Do remember we're dealing with

'No Context Guy' here.

Any attempts to enlighten, elucidate, or explain will be met with a resistance greater than that shown by silicon carbide.. :okay:

icowden

Legendary Member

You are comparing apples with horses. Most of the statues that have been pulled down were vanity statues and have no historic significance. The vast majority appeared in the same time period (19th and early 20th century).

Reactions: C R
D

Deleted member 28

which has historical significance, enjoyed by thousands of visitors and which employs many people.

As long as theres no distasteful history connected to said house in which case funding can be removed, that'll show 'em!

All uphill

You are comparing apples with horses. Most of the statues that have been pulled down were vanity statues and have no historic significance. The vast majority appeared in the same time period (19th and early 20th century).

Most of the big houses were vanity projects, too, just on a larger scale.

I have never been a member of the NT but understand lots of people enjoy a day out at a big house. I'm glad NT takes a bit of time to explain, for those who are interested in the history, the context and price paid by poor people so that a tiny minority could have a life of ostentation.

I don't want to be lectured from right or left.

Beebo

Veteran

Just for clarity. It’s not me making the comparison.

Top Bottom