The push for a Natzional Trust....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

albion

Guru
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news...rol-of-national-trust-from-political-takeover

Not fully a Trump like reaction, but close.
"Restore Trust alleged a “Quick Vote” system allowing members to agree with all the preferred choices of the charity’s trustees in a single click had been introduced “surreptitiously” and claimed that “there is a real crisis of democracy and accountability at the heart of the National Trust"

Yes, useful to have a "fcuk the far right button". It probably happens that even the conservative National Trust members are dead centre Conservatives.

Beebo

Veteran
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news...rol-of-national-trust-from-political-takeover

Not fully a Trump like reaction, but close.
"Restore Trust alleged a “Quick Vote” system allowing members to agree with all the preferred choices of the charity’s trustees in a single click had been introduced “surreptitiously” and claimed that “there is a real crisis of democracy and accountability at the heart of the National Trust"

Yes, useful to have a "fcuk the far right button". It probably happens that even the conservative National Trust members are dead centre Conservatives.
Whilst I don’t agree with them, I can see why they would be a bit annoyed by that auto complete voting system.

matticus

Guru
" ...
alleged a “Quick Vote” system allowing members to agree with all the preferred choices of the charity’s trustees in a single click had been introduced “surreptitiously”

That's a terrible idea! I've never seen this done - is it becoming A Thing in online voting?!?

icowden

Legendary Member
That's a terrible idea! I've never seen this done - is it becoming A Thing in online voting?!?
I've certainly seen it on paper voting - a single box to give assent to all trustee motions.
It certainly wasn't surreptitious or underhand as is suggested by the "restore trust" group.

Van der Poll could not provide any evidence that Quick Vote was introduced “surreptitiously”, as one tweet claimed. The National Trust had included a section about the system in a voting booklet sent to members.

Ian H

Guru

It was pretty clear to me. Vote individually on the options or, if you agree with all of them, tick here. As I recall you could assign a proxy (the chair or other) or vote directly online.
I voted en bloc for the candidates but individually for the other motions. I'd already scrutinised the paperwork, so there was no need to tediously scroll about when voting.
I believe that whoever they used for the voting system recommended the format as normal practice.

Ian H

Guru
I never said otherwise!!!

I was just commenting on the concept - NOT on whether it was brought in badly/sneakily/whatever. I think I made that perfectly clear!!! :P

You said it was 'terrible', the implication, as I assumed, that it somehow undermined fair voting. My experience was that it didn't.

matticus

Guru
You said it was 'terrible', the implication, as I assumed, that it somehow undermined fair voting. My experience was that it didn't.

I don't mean to comment on how it was brought in to this specific organisation - you and others are a lot closer to the facts than me! In fact it's debatable if I even have a right to criticise a club/tribe that I have no connection with.

I was just commenting that form of voting forms seems inherently a dubious idea. IMO it makes it more likely that one really bad idea will happen, hidden amongst the noise. I do have a particulary negative view on democratic "process" due to the last few years, perhaps I'm seeing problems everywhere I look ... :-(

albion

Guru
In the charity sector, the revote for incumbent has been the norm for years. It happens that too few bother to read the mail shot so the easy tick option is a way to get people to vote.

Top Bottom