The Queen / The Monarchy

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

multitool

“Something must be done.”
”This is something.”
”Let’s do it.”

I don't think you are getting it.

Whatever the police did, there would be howls of complaints.

Beebo

Veteran
If there were complaints that anti monarchy banners could be seen by the royals or on TV, so what? How does that justify the mass arrest of innocent people?

I can agree with both of you on this.
What happened isn’t right, but in the real life situation of a coronation there is no way that the powers that be would run the risk of vocal protests. Like it or not, that’s just the way it is.

And as multitool says, the noises off stage from the usual rent a gobs would have been much louder had protesters disrupted the day.

The police were on a hiding to nothing.

Beebo

Veteran
While we’re on the royal topic, why was this a treason charge and not simply a threat to kill or weapon offence? The lad was clearly dangerous and not in a good place mentally, but how is it worse to threaten the queen than your mum? Make it make sense.

Jaswant Singh Chail: Man who took crossbow to 'kill Queen' jailed https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-berkshire-66113524

I agree. 9 years seems a very long time, but he clearly needs medical attention.
But there are laws that say treason is a worse crime than a general threat to kill. I guess it’s because of the destabilising and the disruptive effect it would have on the country.
Is a threat to kill a policeman punished more severely than a normal citizen?

But there are laws that say treason is a worse crime than a general threat to kill. I guess it’s because of the destabilising and the disruptive effect it would have on the country.
It feels to me like it should be put in the box with blasphemy laws. The alternative is to accept that the royals genuinely are special people deserving different laws.

Is a threat to kill a policeman punished more severely than a normal citizen?
I don’t know about threats, but it is treated as an aggravating factor in actual assaults in the course of their duties, so yes, probably.
https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2018/23/enacted

glasgowcyclist

Über Member
It feels to me like it should be put in the box with blasphemy laws. The alternative is to accept that the royals genuinely are special people deserving different laws.

The sovereign enjoys immunity from all criminal prosecution and civil liability, cannot be arrested or investigated. If they are exempt from the law, why should the laws of the country protect them?

It’s just another example of the in-built entitlement and inequality of this monarchy.

Top Bottom