The Queen / The Monarchy

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

icowden

Legendary Member
The sovereign enjoys immunity from all criminal prosecution and civil liability, cannot be arrested or investigated. If they are exempt from the law, why should the laws of the country protect them?
Because they are Sovereign. It dates back a bit, but in the grand scheme of things the King or Queen is the bod at the top of the tree.

glasgowcyclist

Über Member
Because they are Sovereign.

They are sovereign because they are sovereign. Brilliant!

icowden

Legendary Member
I don’t put myself above the law, why does the monarch?
Have a bash at answering the point.
We did. The Monarch is Sovereign. By definition they are above the law.
I don't call myself Scottish. Why does someone call themselves Scottish? Because they are Scottish*.

D'you see?

*Unless they are American but they'll call themselves anything

glasgowcyclist

Über Member
We did. The Monarch is Sovereign. By definition they are above the law.
I don't call myself Scottish. Why does someone call themselves Scottish? Because they are Scottish*.

D'you see?

*Unless they are American but they'll call themselves anything

Well it’s easy to define immunity as a monarch when you’re the one passing all the country’s laws.

A definition no doubt created at a time when they were still active in stealing land and property of others and massacring opponents.

What purpose does it serve now? What is the justification for it?

glasgowcyclist

Über Member
None. There isn't one. Charles is still the Sovereign and only answers to Parliament because those are the rules.

Then there’s no need to keep those rules.

icowden

Legendary Member
Criminal and civil immunity for a tourist attraction is a bizarre thing to have.
Because it isn't just a tourist attraction. It's a hereditary Monarchy going back a thousand years or so.
The only way to change the rules is if Parliament change the rules. To effect that change you will either need to be an MP or vote for an MP who wants to change the rules.

Badger_Boom

The only way to change the rules is if Parliament change the rules. To effect that change you will either need to be an MP or vote for an MP who wants to change the rules.
Good luck finding one. They’re unlikely to risk collateral damage to the system that’s also kept their snouts in the trough for centuries.

Top Bottom