Therese Coughy....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

stowie

When you're low on the pay scale, inflation is higher than the 10.1% figure quoted. The less you have, the more of that scarce money you spend to eat. And food inflation is way higher than 10.1%. The situation is worse than you state.

Absolutely agree. I was using the lower of the two standard measurements to try to avoid an argument about inflation rates. Ultimately, the more percentage of salary spent on non discretionary items then the higher this inflation figure will be (as you say food, energy etc. is way higher than 10% inflation) plus the less ability the person has to manage it.

Craig the cyclist

Über Member
If I was a lower grade nurse, I would probably think that 6% over two years with inflation running at 10%+ p/a is a fantasy. One that I cannot afford.

In reality, if this is the settlement that they have to take then we will see even more nurses leave the NHS and the NHS crisis deepen. The fantasy really is that we can afford to cut these salaries in real terms and not expect massive problems in a year or two.
So when someone comes along with an attractive solution, it is easy to be seduced by the notion that in a few months you will be earning nearly 20% more than you are now.

Sadly, they won't be. So why peddle the myth that they will, and encourage them to lose £00s of pounds in the struggle? Surely the unions should be telling the truth to their membership, you can strike for 18%, but you will be massively out of pocket, the public will lose the hard earned respect and in 3 months we are going to suggest you accept a deal anyway that we could probably get if you didn't go on strike.

stowie

So when someone comes along with an attractive solution, it is easy to be seduced by the notion that in a few months you will be earning nearly 20% more than you are now.

Sadly, they won't be. So why peddle the myth that they will, and encourage them to lose £00s of pounds in the struggle? Surely the unions should be telling the truth to their membership, you can strike for 18%, but you will be massively out of pocket, the public will lose the hard earned respect and in 3 months we are going to suggest you accept a deal anyway that we could probably get if you didn't go on strike.

You appear to be assuming that no strike action (or threat of strike action) has ever improved the offer given?

That seems quite a claim.

D

Deleted member 28

You appear to be assuming that no strike action (or threat of strike action) has ever improved the offer given?

That seems quite a claim.

I think times are changing and battles need to be chosen carefully, we all know of success stories but I don't think these round of strikes are going to be some of them.

I do wonder if the unions are trying to take advantage of the Tories problems and using the workers to force a General Election and get Labour backin power?

the snail

Self-employed can simply withdraw their labour, just like everyone else. The difference is that they lose out personally, so they don't because they aren't stupid.

I'm self-employed and was going to strike, but then I saw sense and gave myself a pay rise.

Rusty Nails

Country Member
Well, the match girls did get most of their demands, but since then it's been sketchy.

In more recent times the Barristers did quite well out of their strike. Not as much as they originally asked for but more than they were offered.

The big problem with major strikes over pay is that there are usually two sides who are more interested in being seen to win, or not to lose, than arriving at an achievable/affordable settlement early on. What is clearly needed is an experienced, unbiased mediator such as yourself who could solve all these strikes overnight to the satisfaction of both sides. Simples!

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
I think times are changing and battles need to be chosen carefully, we all know of success stories but I don't think these round of strikes are going to be some of them.

I do wonder if the unions are trying to take advantage of the Tories problems and using the workers to force a General Election and get Labour backin power?

Surely not @shep. I am sure the Unions and Labour would not resort to such tactics. ;)

Top Bottom