Time for a PEP talk

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CXRAndy

Guru
News breaking

Natwest CEO, Alison Rose, is preparing to apologise to Nigel Farage for their handling of his account closure.

multitool

Pharaoh
I'm not interested in N Farage political stance. I'm interested in the de banking which is currently happening.

You can't seperate the two. Coutts saw a potential reputational risk.

I have three things to say about this story:
1) Farage banking at Coutts makes all his talk of metropolitan remained elites seem even more ridiculous
2) Coutts need a new PR head, because ironically, if they hadn't acted nobody would have even known that Farage banked with them
3) Farage, and anyone who supports or admires him, is a cùnt

1) Farage banking at Coutts makes all his talk of metropolitan remained elites seem even more ridiculous
2) Coutts need a new PR head, because ironically, if they hadn't acted nobody would have even known that Farage banked with them

Spot on.

CXRAndy

Guru

I see you have issues

multitool

Pharaoh
I see you have issues

Attention-seeking again, Andy?

OP
OP
Pale Rider

Pale Rider

Veteran
You can't seperate the two. C

You have to separate the two, concentrate on the content, not the author.

Otherwise, you just make a fatuous knee jerk reaction of the type you, and others, have made.

I probably qualify for your description of a c*nt, because I agree with some of Farage's patter.

On this occasion, it looks to me as if he has a point.

That has been confirmed by the reaction of the bank, politicians, and regulators.

By the way, it's separate not 'seperate'.

I am genuinely surprised that a man of your spelling calibre would make that error.

multitool

Pharaoh
You have to separate the two, concentrate on the content, not the author.

No. Farage was de-banked because he is Farage. I have not been de-banked, and neither have you.

Coutts's USP is an element of snobbish exclusivity, hence the focus on reputational risk.

Imagine if an exclusive gentleman's club decided to cease Farage's membership on the basis if him going a racist demagogue. No difference.

Otherwise, you just make a fatuous knee jerk reaction of the type you, and others, have made.

I'm a few steps ahead of you in the thinking. You'll get there.

I probably qualify for your description of a c*nt, because I agree with some of Farage's patter.

If the cap fits...

By the way, it's separate not 'seperate'.

I am genuinely surprised that a man of your spelling calibre would make that error.

I frequently type in a hurried manner without reading glasses, and tbqhwy sometimes it's a stab in the dark.

OP
OP
Pale Rider

Pale Rider

Veteran
I'm a few steps ahead of you in the thinking. You'll get there.

Not really.

"It's Farage it must be crap" is not thinking at all.

"It's Farage, it's usually crap, but I must assess each case individually," is the only grown up approach.

It's clear, if only from the reaction, Farage has a point about the banking industry.

Also worth bearing in mind Farage has few, if any, friends in Westminster, so the government's preferred reaction would have been to ignore/fob him off.

That they have done the reverse confirms Farage has a very good point, at least on first blush.

multitool

Pharaoh
Not really.

"It's Farage it must be crap" is not thinking at all.

That is not what I said. You are allowing to preconceptions to muffle your hearing. Read what I said, nit what you think I said.

"It's Farage, it's usually crap, but I must assess each case individually," is the only grown up approach.

Which is the approach the bank took. You can read the assessments made over several years. It's in the public domain.

It's clear, if only from the reaction, Farage has a point about the banking industry.

No, he doesn't have a point. He is claiming that the bank are, and I quote "woke remainers". If by this he means that they dislike his racism, then yes, they do. They do not want to be associated with a high profile racist.

Also worth bearing in mind Farage has few, if any, friends in Westminster, so the government's preferred reaction would have been to ignore/fob him off.

That they have done the reverse confirms Farage has a very good point, at least on first blush.

No, the Tory machine has come out in support of him because they are pursuing an electoral strategy based on culture war. This is part of it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Pale Rider

Pale Rider

Veteran
Farage is talking both personally and about the largely little people who have had accounts closed for non-financial reasons.

To mangle a quote from a judge in a libel case (we lost): it is as plain as a pikestaff Farage has valid points to make.

No, the Tory machine has come out in support of him because they are pursuing an electoral strategy based on culture war. This is part of it.

The problem with conspiracy theories is you have to suggest ever more ludicrous twists and turns to try to shoehorn the facts into what, in this case, is a relatively straightforward story of: 'man highlights questionable conduct by the banks'.

If you want to look for hidden motivation, no one likes bankers, although they are not quite as bad in the public mind as journalists and estate agents.

That dislike makes it more attractive to those in power to push this story forward.

multitool

Pharaoh
Farage is talking both personally and about the largely little people who have had accounts closed for non-financial reasons.

To mangle a quote from a judge in a libel case (we lost): it is as plain as a pikestaff Farage has valid points to make.

The problem with conspiracy theories is you have to suggest ever more ludicrous twists and turns to try to shoehorn the facts into what, in this case, is a relatively straightforward story of: 'man highlights questionable conduct by the banks'.

If you want to look for hidden motivation, no one likes bankers, although they are not quite as bad in the public mind as journalists and estate agents.

That dislike makes it more attractive to those in power to push this story forward.

No "little people" have had their accounts closed by Coutts. No "little people" bank with Coutts.

You are missing the point that Farage was not de-banked. He was not denied banking services.

Top Bottom