Twitter under Musk....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

albion

Guru
https://www.theguardian.com/technol...hen-king-lebron-james-keep-twitter-blue-ticks

Behave and you get to keep it? And are those who pay now the plebs?

I don't get why celebs won't pay. Are they too special to be in a scheme that plebs can also take part in? Whatever you think of Twitter it still has massive reach and the Mastodon thing hasn't really taken off yet.

icowden

Legendary Member
I don't get why celebs won't pay. Are they too special to be in a scheme that plebs can also take part in?
They don't wish to be associated with it. The point of the blue tick is that it ensured you knew that the account was the real one. Paying for a blue tick means anyone can have one, which renders it meaningless. The types of people buying them are not the types of people that celebs want to be associated with.

Musk is killing the platform. He thinks people are complaining about the fee. They couldn't care less about the fee.

winjim

Welcome yourself into the new modern crisis
it's a mark of shame now but you can't even tell who's paid now as they're appearing and disappearing at the whim of a madman.

The blue tick defenders are funny though. Comparing it to your name on a Starbucks cup...

Reactions: C R

winjim

winjim

It's an interesting strategy because it effectively throttles the tactic of autoblocking blue tick accounts. Meanwhile paid for blue tick accounts get their content boosted meaning that the site is basically curated by Musk fanboys.

I think he's right here though. If Martin Lewis didn't have a blue tick and a verified account Twitter would be awash with accounts with similar names trying to scam people. He understandably feels an obligation to stop that as much as he can, even if he doesn't agree with the procedure himself.

icowden

Legendary Member
I think he's right here though. If Martin Lewis didn't have a blue tick and a verified account Twitter would be awash with accounts with similar names trying to scam people.
But that's just the point. If you want to set up an account at @MartinLewisMoneySaver you can buy a blue tick and start pretending to be Martin Lewis all you want. The whole point of the blue tick is that they required you to go through a verification process. Now *anyone* can be Martin Lewis for only $8 a month!

Top Bottom