Twitter under Musk....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

Guru
Looks like he's finally splashing the cash and paying over the odds for Twitter.
Can't help thinking this isn't going to go well....

icowden

Legendary Member
Looks like he's finally splashing the cash and paying over the odds for Twitter.
Can't help thinking this isn't going to go well....
I know what you mean but...
  • Zip2 went well
  • X.com went well
  • Paypall went *very* well.
  • SpaceX went and is going well
  • Tesla went is going very well
  • Neuralink going well so far
  • Boring company going well so far
  • Starlink is going very well
Musk has had a significant positive impact on the world overall (hugely accelerated the take up of electric vehicles, massively improved our ability to do space exploration, provided power solutions all over the world, provided internet around the world - and specifically in war zones / repressed regimes where communication is essential), so maybe we should give him the benefit of the doubt on this one?

AuroraSaab

Legendary Member
One of the,if not the richest men in the world buying a social media site.Used by the media, politicians,goverment announcements,health services and emergency services the list goes on....
What could possibly go wrong.

You could say the same about Facebook or Instagram. Or Tiktok, which is owned by the Chinese. It's not as though Twitter is some sort of independent and impartial bastion of truth at the moment. Twitter controls its output by selective application of its moderation policy, just like Facebook and the others.

D

Deleted member 49

You could say the same about Facebook or Instagram. Or Tiktok, which is owned by the Chinese. It's not as though Twitter is some sort of independent and impartial bastion of truth at the moment. Twitter controls its output by selective application of its moderation policy, just like Facebook and the others.
I do,I think Zuckerberg is the antichrist along with Murdoch,Bezos and other huge media tycoons who gaslight us with their wealth.
But I read today maybe he's not buying it ? I can rest easy 🙄

icowden

Legendary Member
I do,I think Zuckerberg is the antichrist along with Murdoch,Bezos and other huge media tycoons who gaslight us with their wealth.🙄
That's another thing I find fascinating about Musk. He has plans which he articulates rather than just being rich for the sake of it.

OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

Guru
I know what you mean but...
  • Zip2 went well
  • X.com went well
  • Paypall went *very* well.
  • SpaceX went and is going well
  • Tesla went is going very well
  • Neuralink going well so far
  • Boring company going well so far
  • Starlink is going very well
Musk has had a significant positive impact on the world overall (hugely accelerated the take up of electric vehicles, massively improved our ability to do space exploration, provided power solutions all over the world, provided internet around the world - and specifically in war zones / repressed regimes where communication is essential), so maybe we should give him the benefit of the doubt on this one?

You make a strong point.
They are all companies based on technological development however, whereas Twitter (at least to most people) is primarily social and about content. But as @AuroraSaab states, the owners of other similar social platforms are not exactly benevolent either.
I do wonder if people will evaluate their usage based on change of ownership or maybe nobody cares?
Time will tell....

matticus

Guru

I may have rose spectacles, but I've always found Twitter the least evil of all these platforms.
Facebook was created to track single girls on campus; I've never had faith that the owners have much more worthy plans for it to this day.

And this stuff rarely mentions twitter:
"Content on social media platforms contributed to the suicide of a 14-year-old girl, a British court found Sept. 30. Molly Russell, who died in 2017, interacted with 2,100 posts related to suicide, self-harm and depression in the six months leading up to her death—or 12 posts per day—according to Meta’s data, which includes Facebook and Instagram usage. The teen viewed additional content on Pinterest.
" https://observer.com/2022/10/social...eath-of-a-14-year-old-girl-a-u-k-court-finds/

AuroraSaab

Legendary Member
TikTok and Instagram are probably the worst. Even leaving aside all the ridiculous stuff on FB and Instagram that make young people feel their bodies aren't good enough or they aren't cool enough and so on, TikTok and Instagram happily promote pro-anorexia stuff and pro-self harm content. They are responsible for so much social contagion, and unhealthy thinking and mental health issues amongst young women especially. And that's not even including stupid TikTok challenges that end up with kids hurting themselves or others.

TikTok is aimed at kids. People who think children aren't influenced by social media should spend 5 minutes looking at the hundreds of TikTok videos where youngsters talk about their 'alters' (ie other personalities who live in their heads). It's bullsh*t of course but it makes mental illness sound cool and encourages kids to be constantly looking inwards, agonising over every feeling rather than looking out into the world.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.psychologytoday.com/gb/blog/its-catching/202110/the-girls-who-caught-tourettes-tiktok?amp

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.in...tiktok-influencers-multiple-personalities/amp

(Edited for spelling).

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 28

I must have missed all this, I have kids who've grown up with this I guess (20 &23?) but they don't seem to have been 'influenced ' or had 'alters ' whatever the f**k they are, so is all this to do with not knowing what your kids are doing or is it a more recent thing?

I must have missed all this, I have kids who've grown up with this I guess (20 &23?) but they don't seem to have been 'influenced ' or had 'alters ' whatever the f**k they are, so is all this to do with not knowing what your kids are doing or is it a more recent thing?

As I understand it alters are a tick tock or possibly Instagram thing. My 'kids' are now 29 and 27. I think My Space caused us a little anxiety when daughter, then 12, was using it to interact with the 14yo son of friends. It was fine as his parents were on the case as well.

She's now married to him and their son is one.

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.

Sadly, I think, all too often, the answer to this is "yes".

There are of course a variety of reasons why this is so, ranging from "don't care", to "simply don't understand the technology and implications", and, all shades in-between.

It is quite remarkably naive. Does he think that - even if a UN monitored vote was able to be run - that Putin would take the slightest notice of it?
Agreed it is naïve, expecting Russia under Putin to be able to keep promises and more importantly it's been to long that Russia got away with taking land. The ''91 borders should be respected period. The world has long enough looked the other way it's time to make a stance, ridcolous enough that's it's only material support, but it works Putins leadership is starting to crumble
He tends to dive into stuff without thinking it through. Like his unfeasible plan to rescue the cave kids. It makes him look arrogant and a bit clueless. Then he wonders why people get peed off about it. 'Diving into stuff' is both a strength and a weakness really. If he thought things through he probably wouldn't be sending rockets to Mars.
The idea wasn't that bad, his response to that diver was very bad and it was to late. The water was rising, oxigen in that cave was running out, so they did it they way they did, thankfully with an overwhelmingly positive result.

One of the,if not the richest men in the world buying a social media site.Used by the media, politicians,goverment announcements,health services and emergency services the list goes on....
What could possibly go wrong.
You might not be to interested because it's not your political direction but there are several interviews that show twitter, facebook and most of the big social media make choices political choices in majority in favor of the left.
So are you concerned about a rich men buying twitter or are you concerned their direction could become more balanced? or more pro-republican/rights?
The merger announcement alone has shown lots of the ones always screaming about inclusivity, acceptance and tolerance turning out to be inclusive, tolerant and accepting if it fits their agenda.

I may have rose spectacles, but I've always found Twitter the least evil of all these platforms.
Facebook was created to track single girls on campus; I've never had faith that the owners have much more worthy plans for it to this day.

And this stuff rarely mentions twitter:
"Content on social media platforms contributed to the suicide of a 14-year-old girl, a British court found Sept. 30. Molly Russell, who died in 2017, interacted with 2,100 posts related to suicide, self-harm and depression in the six months leading up to her death—or 12 posts per day—according to Meta’s data, which includes Facebook and Instagram usage. The teen viewed additional content on Pinterest.
" https://observer.com/2022/10/social...eath-of-a-14-year-old-girl-a-u-k-court-finds/
The thing is especially a certain age everything can be triggering, surely Tiktok, intagram lend their succes to algoritmism that show more similar content, and yes if someone watches harmfull stuff that isn;t really helping. But on the other hand, suicide of form all times sadly, in this example i feel social media is pulled in as the boogeyman very quickly, it just wonder where the parents where when all this was happening, it seems that some parents believe social media is the 3rd parent or something.

TikTok and Instagram are probably the worst. Even leaving aside all the ridiculous stuff on FB and Instagram that make young people feel their bodies aren't good enough or they aren't cool enough and so on, TikTok and Instagram happily promote pro-anorexia stuff and pro-self harm content. They are responsible for so much social contagion, and unhealthy thinking and mental health issues amongst young women especially. And that's not even including stupid TikTok challenges that end up with kids hurting themselves or others.
That is not neccasarly true, yes there are video's like that on tiktok instagram etc. but before tiktok and instagram we had fashion magazines, a bit later normal internet pages etc. The accusations of then and now are not that much different just the medium where it is on, and modern sites use a lot of tracking so keep on sprouting the same type of content, so that puts more pressure on parents actually knowing their child and talking about the dangers their self imagine etc.
TikTok is aimed at kids. People who think children aren't influenced by social media should spend 5 minutes looking at the hundreds of TikTok videos where youngsters talk about their 'alters' (ie other personalities who live in their heads). It's bullsh*t of course but it makes mental illness sound cool and encourages kids to be constantly looking inwards, agonising over every feeling rather than looking out into the world.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.psychologytoday.com/gb/blog/its-catching/202110/the-girls-who-caught-tourettes-tiktok?amp

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.in...tiktok-influencers-multiple-personalities/amp

(Edited for spelling).
Sure but it isn't only about children it's also about parent needing to known what their children are doing why and for how long. it's not just about the easely spotted pink elephant in the room, but more about those tiny-er other things that make the puzzle complete.

I agree with you i think for a big part it's knowing what your kids are doing and maybe even more important understanding why they are doing it.

Top Bottom