What % will keep driving cars instead of feed their families?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

slowmotion

Well, seeing as how I sold the van last October, I guess I must be "marvellous and intoxicating". That's put quite a spring in my step.

mudsticks

Squire
One of the wonderful things about human beings is that they do sometimes behave in ways that are not in their best interests. They piss their money away in pubs. They smoke cigarettes. They piss even more money away at the betting shop. They attempt to climb insanely dangerous mountains and often kill themselves in the process.
I'm not suggesting starving your kids due to your human frailty, but if we all behaved like complete saints, life wouldn't be very interesting, would it?

Course it depends on your definition of 'saintly' or even 'interesting'

But I've just done a very brief survey of one person.

She tells me she's had a very rich, interesting, exciting, eventful and even fun life whilst attempting to do what she felt was the 'better' thing'.

Including, lots of adventures involving trains, bicycles, and yes even pointy, fall-offable mountains too -

Although in all fairness, betting shops figured not so much, in this whirly gig of a life well lived.

What a fun sponge eh .??

Last edited:

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
Only anecdotal evidence, not very scientific but, I live in a “deprived area”:
1. Our street is a cul-de-sac of 11 houses, there are 20 vehicles. Of those 11 houses, I have never seen the occupants of 8 of the houses walk out of the street. One woman takes the car to visit her daughter, in the next street (perhaps 500 metres away), another, drives her child to school each day (the school is in the next street, about 750 metres away).
2. My two eldest grandchildren (23 and 26yo), have never been on a bus, metro or train. They were ferried everywhere by car, by their parents, now, they drive their own cars. They do go for “long” walks occasionally, say, 1.5 miles, according to Strava.

I think car use is very well established.

Last edited:

slowmotion

Think of it more as being liberated from the yoke of fuel, insurance, tax, parking, maintenance .

Whilst being able to cycle and walk more..

What's not to like ??
You have obviously never attempted to bring an eight by four sheet of 18mm MDF back home from Builder Depot on your bike.

Last edited:

mudsticks

Squire
You have obviously never attempted to bring an eight by four sheet of 18mm MDF back home from Builder Depot on your bike.

I did have to go pick up a 40kg battery yesterday..

Wouldn't have wanted to carry that on my shoulder for too long..

matticus

Guru
You've got me thinking ...

Yesterday I got home from work [by bike, as it happens] to find 4 bags of compost and 3 (3L?) tins of paint (assorted) in the back garden. AND YET no-one living in the house had travelled anywhere except on foot or by bike.

HOW DID THIS HAPPEN?? Am I in dreamland? Did I sleep-walk, and unconsciously steal a neighbour's car to fetch this from the WIck's depot??

[Disclosure: no cargo-bikes or trailers left our garage either.]

qigong chimp

Settler of gobby hash.
So from memory:

Take one:
You're looking out across a broad expanse of beautifully manicured lawn on a lovely summer's day. A great throng of people are gathered. A festival? All is animation and noise, humanity expressing itself in all its marvelous inventiveness. To one side, apart, alone, stands a woman; still, composed, eyes on the ground in front of her. Your notice her just long enough to wonder at the pathology - autism, extreme shyness? - that sees her unable to engage before your attention slides away because look! Nigel Farage is Morris dancing, fag in hand, while Lord Botham opens bottles of beer with his buttocks! Quick, get a picture! Wonderful: oh brave new world that has such people in it!

Take two:
Same scenario in every detail save one. The grassy lawn has been replaced by a an expanse of red hot coals. The roiling seethe is revealed as physics, necessity, gravity, pain management, compulsion.
Now the most interesting thing is... how does she do that?

With apologies to Ms Weil

Last edited:

qigong chimp

Settler of gobby hash.
You've got me thinking ...

Yesterday I got home from work [by bike, as it happens] to find 4 bags of compost and 3 (3L?) tins of paint (assorted) in the back garden. AND YET no-one living in the house had travelled anywhere except on foot or by bike.

HOW DID THIS HAPPEN?? Am I in dreamland? Did I sleep-walk, and unconsciously steal a neighbour's car to fetch this from the WIck's depot??

[Disclosure: no cargo-bikes or trailers left our garage either.]
Are storks diversifying in an era of falling birth rates?

Top Bottom