What % will keep driving cars instead of feed their families?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 28

Has being allowed to have what you want in life ever crossed your minds?

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 28

On a side note, do any of you enjoy foreign wine or cheese or coffee that needs to be sent here on container ships?

MrGrumpy

Regular
Fair point.
So I guess you'd support breaking fingers punishment for anyone that (badly)* damages a bike? How about the bike and its owner?

*To be fair, lets assume the damage has to be equivalent to the cost of a SUV tyre**
**p.s. I think the SUV tyre campaign was just letting the air out through the valve. Just FYI.
It’s vandalism regardless of what it is ? That fair enough :whistle:

winjim

Welcome yourself into the new modern crisis
Would it surprise you if I said that I think there should be as few restrictions on personal freedom as reasonably practicable, and that what restrictions there are should be necessary, proportional, have sound reasoning behind them and hopefully be for the benefit of wider society? Could any reasonable person really think anything else?

Incidentally, I sometimes take the kids to the little miniature railway tucked away in the woods round Abbeydale. It's a fun day out, they've got a proper good setup and you can take a picnic and everything. It runs on coal but that doesn't mean I favour the use of coal as fuel for everyday personal transport, mass transit systems or indeed electricity generation.

OP
OP
mjr

mjr

Yes, but there are laws against torturing people even when they post misleading questions like that. ;)

Last edited:
OP
OP
mjr

mjr

Do they really suck fuel ? Facts ?
Compare any SUV with a similar-weight car (so usually an estate) based on the same platform and engine. For example, the Ford C2 platform has the 1600ish kg Kuga 1.5 TDCi burning diesel at a rate of 48.2mpg ; while the equivalent Focus estate burns at 54.5 mpg, (both according to Honest John - some sites like Carbuyer seem to report the Kuga as low as 35mpg).

Isn't it pretty likely that a sleeker lower car is going to burn fuel more slowly than a squarer-fronted taller SUV?

mudsticks

Squire
That's how I've tried to live my life , at times successfully!.

One thing that has always been missing from my life choices is a 'lifestyle' because that's always been an expensive con.

Does anyone really think of themselves as having a 'lifestyle' ??

Driving one of these ‘monster trucks’ (and I don’t mean family SUVs) if you are not a farmer or builder using it for lumping crap around is quite a pathetic choice of motoring, especially in a country that doesn’t have wide open prairies or mountains of note.
If they could change the model names from stuff like shogun, warrior or big-gonads to names of flowers like daisy, pansy or petunia it might at least make it bit more embarrassing for the owners, and make other drivers smile.

And paint them all pink with floral decals..

In fact while we're about why not paint all the tractors pink too..

[I even have a picture of a pink tractor..But will it load .???
Who knows?]

Would it surprise you if I said that I think there should be as few restrictions on personal freedom as reasonably practicable, and that what restrictions there are should be necessary, proportional, have sound reasoning behind them and hopefully be for the benefit of wider society? Could any reasonable person really think anything else?

Incidentally, I sometimes take the kids to the ****little miniature railway tucked away in the woods round Abbeydale*****. It's a fun day out, they've got a proper good setup and you can take a picnic and everything. It runs on coal but that doesn't mean I favour the use of coal as fuel for everyday personal transport, mass transit systems or indeed electricity generation.

*Pictures please*

[If you're able😇]
PXL_20211211_132228142.MP~2.jpg

Oh it did ...💜🚜

D

Deleted member 28

Could any reasonable person really think anything else?
Have you not read all the shyte regarding cars in general and SUV's in particular?

I think there seems to be a fair few on here who wouldn't agree with you.

winjim

Welcome yourself into the new modern crisis
I don't have any photos on my phone and the upload thing's greyed out again but here's the gallery on their website.

https://www.sheffieldmodelengineers.com/photo-gallery.html

It's somewhere that nobody in Sheffield has ever heard of until they have kids, then it becomes the most amazing place ever. It's a model engineering society and every few weeks over summer they open up to the public. They all dress the part, they location's all set up proper and while the men have been tinkering in the sheds, the womenfolk* have been busy baking some lovely home made cakes to sell in the pavilion. It's great, they'll even let you put up a gazebo for birthday parties and stuff.

*It's by no means exclusive but you can imagine how the traditional gender roles are filled with this sort of thing, especially with the older members.

Top Bottom