Women's football success

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Is the phrase 'dad joke' just becoming another excuse for trotting out tired old prejudices, and stuff that should have been put to bed decades ago??
That's not how the phrase is used in my experience. It's usually more about weak puns and obviously silly jokes told to children than anything designed to reinforce the patriarchy.

AuroraSaab

Legendary Member
He reduced a pivotal moment in women's sport to an underwear joke. Which resulted in some smutty responses - they've been deleted but a few were of the 't*ts out for the lads' variety. Sportswomen have had their achievements mocked and belittled for years. They can do without it from other athletes, even when it's just a pathetic joke on Twitter.

An analogy would be when an Italian newspaper had a headline of 'Black Friday' after the local club signed two black players. People have written a lot worse, but it's just crass and demeaning to even mention their race.

Nobody on here is suggesting Lineker be sacked or 'cancelled'. He can still sell crisps. I don't think he meant to be demeaning; he was just looking for Likes from a cheap joke. He made an error of judgement and rightly deleted the tweet. If he'd had any sense he would have apologised and left it there.

mudsticks

Squire
Sorry - did he actually use these words or not? This is all so confusing ...

I don't know, I'm just taking Jim's word for it..
He doesn't usually make shoot up.

But whether Gary did say it or not, and I'm willing to take Jim's word for it for now, it still seems that 'dad joke' has become an excuse for trotting out any old cringeworthy shoot.

Yes confusion abounds it would seem, especially in the written word .

Perhaps understanding the difference between quote marks, and other forms of punctuation would help you along the way ??

Meanwhile, a question for you, for once, are you actually interested in challenging sexism in the world?

Or are you in fact, as appears to be the case here, more interested in denying or defending it. ??

Even when large numbers of people, the people who experience sexism first hand, have said they find the tweet to be sexist.

Nobody on here is suggesting Lineker be sacked or 'cancelled'. He can still sell crisps. I don't think he meant to be demeaning; he was just looking for Likes from a cheap joke. He made an error of judgement and rightly deleted the tweet. If he'd had any sense he would have apologised and left it there.

I agree entirely with this paragraph.

matticus

Guru
Meanwhile, a question for you, for once, are you actually interested in challenging sexism in the world?

Or are you in fact, as appears to be the case here, more interested in denying or defending it. ??

Do you mean
"calling it out to my mates on NACA"?
Cos yeah, THAT will change the world ...

mudsticks

Squire
That's not how the phrase is used in my experience. It's usually more about weak puns and obviously silly jokes told to children than anything designed to reinforce the patriarchy.

Yes that's certainly how it originated..

What I'm saying is that it seems increasingly to be used as an excuse for saying shoot that would otherwise be called out as unacceptable..

Both online and in the real world.

Much like Schrödingers Douchebag 🙄

mudsticks

Squire
Do you mean
"calling it out to my mates on NACA"?
Cos yeah, THAT will change the world ...

Oh OK so we can have any old sexist shoot on here right, because it's a tiny community.??

Cos it's really just a lounging place for unreconstructed, sometimes cyclists to shoot the breeze with their throwback 'mates'..??

Anyone who objects, and doesn't want to be properly 'matey' can just stfu right??:okay:

Glad we've got that our in the open ;)

matticus

Guru

I agree entirely with this paragraph.

And I'd add that I've NEVER heard Dad Joke used to describe (or excuse) anything offensive or unpleasant.

matticus

Guru
Oh OK so we can have any old sexist shoot on here right, because it's a tiny community.??

Nope. Not saying that at all.

This topic arose around a celebrity twitter account, and comments made therein. Isn't that what you were calling out? Not posts by NACA members.

If offensive/sexist celeb tweets are made in future - and I've little doubt they will be - then will me adding Likes to your condemnation help change the world? Are you judging me as supportive of all sexist gammons just because I didn't support the Gary lynch-mob already in full flow on NACA?

Last edited:

matticus

Guru
Would you mind pointing me towards this lynch mob please? I've seen nothing much stronger than people saying it was a fairly minor error of judgement. Do you think you may be tilting at windmills?

In the context of what mudders was asking me, it doesn't matter. (If that's too difficult to follow, bear in mind I was talking to her, not to you. And shut up.)

p.s. I'm sure someone mentioned pitch-forks, so maybe there is a mob out there ...

In the context of what mudders was asking me, it doesn't matter. (If that's too difficult to follow, bear in mind I was talking to her, not to you. And shut up.)

p.s. I'm sure someone mentioned pitch-forks, so maybe there is a mob out there ...

How delightfully aggressive, like our Welsh correspondent on tranquillisers.

Top Bottom