Women's football success

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mudsticks

Squire
I agree. I just think we've had a hundred years of this sort of stuff and it's a bit crass and tiresome to see it again.

Broadcaster makes feeble pun about everyday item of clothing.
That's it. Why the need for any fuss?
Because of what AS said - we're not nearly in any way out of the woods with men type people making crass, sexist, thoughtless, offensive and belittling remarks about women, their appearance, their abilities etc.

Its been going on for centuries, as a way of trying to keep women ' in their place' - and its not over yet - not by a long way .

But still we're expected to just 'shrug it off' and laugh along - or else be told we are 'making a fuss'

Same old same old..

As a man you will not be nearly 'so sensitive' about it because you haven't experienced living as a woman with all the micro-aggressions against women come with living in a sexist culture - they are very wearisome - anyone who genuinely cares would pay more attention to what they say.

I don't think Jim's suggestion of 'simply the chest' if it was a guy is equivalent .

Men can go topless without remark on my local town beach .
Women will get told to cover up, or get started at..

The least Gary could do, as a 'pundit' who presumably wants all women to feel comfortable and treated equally , and who knows he has the ear of many a 'bloke' is to think twice - or preferably thrice about what he says and how he says it.

As there are clearly many 'blokes' out there who haven't given it very much 'thought' at all...

Last edited:

matticus

Guru
The least Gary could do, as a 'pundit' who presumably wants all women to feel comfortable and treated equally , and who knows he has the ear of many a 'bloke' is to think twice - or preferably thrice about what he says and how he says it.

Did you actually read his comments about the furore?

I quite like Lineker in general but I don't believe he usually asks feminists to proof read his tweets. We all make minor errors of judgement, he's now deleted it, and he should not have dug the hole any deeper than it was.

mudsticks

Squire
Did you actually read his comments about the furore?

Yes I did..
He says he'd 'run it past some feminists'

So obv was already unsure about it..
Good first instinct.

If in doubt leave it out ..

Those two women he asked are already from a 'priveleged woman' background .

They're mates with Gary..

He's making out it is silly to make a fuss about..
Yet his tweet has drawn oafish comments .

Draw your own conclusions about the society we're still in ..

bolox. (can I say that?)
You just did.
He was quite clear in his position, and I think he's behaved decently and diplomatically. Some people want to be seen to criticise him - more virtue-signalling nonsense from newfhouse, as expected!
My criticism, and it's not a harsh one, is for not simply admitting it wasn't much of a joke. He didn't need to invent a pre-publication feminist editorial board.

Is even this level of critique 'virtue signalling' now? It's so hard to keep up.

matticus

Guru
My criticism, and it's not a harsh one, is for not simply admitting it wasn't much of a joke.

So what? Even if he was a comedian by trade, there's no duty to admit when a joke is crap. It doesn't matter!!!

But no, you have to pile-on with the "digging a hole" twaddle. Still, very magnanimous to downgrade it to "not a harsh criticism"; you're clearly still the bigger the man than he is 👍

mudsticks

Squire
You just did.

My criticism, and it's not a harsh one, is for not simply admitting it wasn't much of a joke. He didn't need to invent a pre-publication feminist editorial board.

Is even this level of critique 'virtue signalling' now? It's so hard to keep up.

Once you start having someone accusing you of 'virtue signalling' -especially by someone who doesn't have direct experience of the issue being discussed then you should know you're probs not far off from getting it about right...

Also 'wokeism' or 'po faced' or 'pc gawn Mad'

As soon as Gary felt the need to consult this 'feminist editorial team'..

Whether or not such a thing really exists, in his life, he should really as a socially responsible grown up, have been able to work out for himself whether or not it was a good idea .

So what? Even if he was a comedian by trade, there's no duty to admit when a joke is crap. It doesn't matter!!!
In the grand scheme of things that's true but I wonder if the expectation is higher for someone that has cultivated so many followers, compared with, say, members here.

But no, you have to pile-on with the "digging a hole" twaddle. Still, very magnanimous to downgrade it to "not a harsh criticism"; you're clearly still the bigger the man than he is 👍
No pile-on, no downgrading and no need for magnanimity. We're just shoot talking, aren't we?

I still don't really believe he took advice about a throwaway comment though. Do you?

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Who care's, Sue Me
Some people need to keep their knickers on……….it was a harmless pun, thats it.

and why just because they are friends with gary are they “woman from privileged backgrounds”.

sheesh

Rusty Nails

Country Member
Imo there is nothing inherently sexist about Lineker's tweet which is in line with the general quality of dreadful puns used by tabloid sports writers for generations, usually about male sports stars, but this time a woman. She displayed her bra, she knew what she was doing, it was an image that showed the jubilation of the moment and a headline/tweet pun came out of it, but there was no implied criticism, belittling or even mocking in that tweet. Male footballers such as Ronaldo regularly strip off their shirts after a goal, run to the touchline and show off their abs/pecs and occasionally get mocked for it in the press.

His only crime, if it can be considered one, is not remembering that the internet is full of rather backward, often misogynistic people who could use that pun as an opportunity to take it just too far.....and chucking in that self-justifying bit about feminist proof readers.

With equality in sport, which these England players want and deserve, they must get used to being part of the arena of privileged footballers and the headline puns that go with it. Football, its fans, its players and its reporters, have shown over the years that it is not a place for the sensitive and I don't see that changing.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Who care's, Sue Me
Imo there is nothing inherently sexist about Lineker's tweet which is in line with the general quality of dreadful puns used by tabloid sports writers for generations, usually about male sports stars, but this time a woman. She displayed her bra, she knew what she was doing, it was an image that showed the jubilation of the moment and a headline/tweet pun came out of it, but there was no implied criticism, belittling or even mocking in that tweet. Male footballers such as Ronaldo regularly strip off their shirts after a goal, run to the touchline and show off their abs/pecs and occasionally get mocked for it in the press.

His only crime, if it can be considered one, is not remembering that the internet is full of rather backward, often misogynistic people who could use that pun as an opportunity to take it just too far.....and chucking in that self-justifying bit about feminist proof readers.

With equality in sport, which these England players want and deserve, they must get used to being part of the arena of privileged footballers and the headline puns that go with it. Football, its fans, its players and its reporters, have shown over the years that it is not a place for the sensitive and I don't see that changing.

We agree again.

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.

+1, although, I think you missed out at least one other significant groups on the internet.

mudsticks

Squire

Yes on reflection I think you're correct, it really is best if men get to decide what is or isn't sexist, or what comprises women being 'over sensitive'..

Just as white people are best placed to instruct black or brown people what does or doesnt comprise a racist slur.

Same really, as how straight folks should get to tell the gays how they should feel about the denigrating things said to, or about them..

Also with able bodied folks, they know best how those living with disability should get spoken about..

And so on.

Let the dominant group decide how it all should go, and keep the natural order of things as they are 👍🏼

All in all, It would definitely save a whole heap of all that tiresome listening, or trying to understand what all these people are on about...

Top Bottom