Work and parenthood

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
newfhouse

newfhouse

pleb
Not a 'rule changer when it suits ' then?
What’s the difference?

mudsticks

Squire
Affordable childcare is certainly a thing for her constituents.

I think though her beef is around Maternity Leave/cover for MPs. My daughter with a babe in arms is on Maternity Leave. Her job is covered. No such facility for Stella Creasey (or any other MP with a babe in arms) if she needs to participate on proceedings.

Congrats on the new grandparenthood btw.

Someone has said that grandchildren are the delicious 'just desserts' of being a parent.

Hope it works out like that for you :okay:.

I give up,

For starters I couldn't give a toss whether she takes her kid with her or not.

Point is you take a job with certain rules and benefits (Maternity leave not being one in this case) then try and bend those rules or moan about them when it suits you.

Would you all be so passionate if she was a Tory?

Classic Troll behaviour.

You've posted repeatedly about the supposed wrongs of the kid in the chamber; now you don't give a toss.

Even in an ordinary job you're quite entitled to press for changes to the rules/benefits in your contract. I'm engaged in such a quest right now.

If you're elected to serve for the constituency of X you're entitled to press for anything.

A Tory on the same tack would be fantastic.

IIRC at least one who did upset her local party and was deselected.

mudsticks

Squire
I give up,

For starters I couldn't give a toss whether she takes her kid with her or not.

Point is you take a job with certain rules and benefits (Maternity leave not being one in this case) then try and bend those rules or moan about them when it suits you.

Would you all be so passionate if she was a Tory?

Yes, I would.

It's called having principals.

Do you not think the very essence of being a politician is to try to make things better??

That requires, that things have to change sometimes right??

Rules have to change and evolve if they're shown to be unfair.

That's called 'progess' right ?

Why were you arguing about it then , if you couldn't give a toss?

A Frank Zappa / George Clinton led supergroup ?
Now that I’d pay to go and see (if one of them had not left the planet)!

Last edited:

Pale Rider

Veteran
The first line above makes you look a chump. Please drop the personal dig; you've said before you only do this when you've been 'dug at' first. I simply responded to what you'd said.

Nobody is suggesting kids should run around the Palace of Westminster. We're talking babes in arms like my grandson - 7 weeks tomorrow.

Can you explain why barring babes in arms from anywhere at all is sensible?

Breastfeeding is inseparable from Motherhood. As a society we should be normalising it for the natural activity it is.

Did you ever actually have children? If so did their Mother take Maternity leave etc? The rights of parents are fundamental; please don't decry them.

Usual wood from the trees all around the houses claptrap.

The House of Commons is not a suitable place for children.

The simplest and best approach is 'no children', unless you want to get mired in age and behaviour restrictions.

A child in a sling/caddy is fine, but the same child crawling around the benches is not, a quiet child is fine, but what if it starts bawling - is the Speaker going to shout order?

How about a Kevin the Teenager?

"The honourable member for Bexley and Old Sidcup. I hate you, I hate you, it's all so unfair."

The only realistic, workable rule is 'no children'.

Save all the worthy childcare stuff for where it's relevant.

mudsticks

Squire
I agree completely. In fact it’s exactly how the thread started. It was you that conjured up hordes of unruly toddlers and teenagers.

The 'hordes of unruly' could certainly do with learning a trick or two from the very well behaved babies, I often come across at meetings and gatherings.

In my experience their parents generally take first recourse in a feed if there's any sign of disturbance, then absent themselves very swiftly if that doesn't work.

Some of the braying arrisses in the HoC could look to their own manners, if they feel interrupting others whilst they speak is unacceptable.

spen666

MPs

this week can multi task, unlike last week when we wanted to lynch any MP who multi tasked.

Or is it we move the goalposts, so some multi tadking is appropriate when it suits our own agenda

[Before the lynch mobs turn on me, this works both ways- those objecting last week are pro this week, AND vice versa]

Last edited:
OP
OP
newfhouse

newfhouse

pleb
MPs

this week can multi task, unlike last week when we wanted to lynch any MP who multi tasked.

Or is it we move the goalposts, so some multi tadking is appropriate when it suits our own agenda

[Before the lynch mobs turn on me, this works both ways- those objecting last week are pro this week, AND vice versa]
Is paid lobbying as performed by Patterson or a second full time engagement as undertaken by Cox in any way comparable with a parent doing their best to balance family needs with carrying on with their actual main job? I don’t think so.

mudsticks

Squire
MPs

Lynch mob.. :rolleyes:

Oh dear 'hounded' by people who don't object to babes in arms...

Poor you.. ;)

You do know it's a false equivalence don't you ??

If someone's working on another job, they can't be present in, or attending to business in the HoC .

Whereas, whilst nursing an infant they can very much do that.

Fwiw I don't particularly mind MPs keeping their hand in at their original job, so as to stay in touch with the world around them, so long as it doesn't impinge on their primary paid work, of being a representative for their constituency.

It's when it's lucrative 'consultancies' or other shady dealings, which amount to little more than 'bought and paid for political influence', thats when the problems start.

Top Bottom