Work and parenthood

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
Yes why don't we go back to employing servants to breastfeed our children:eek:
??

I know you're a little bit older than me but...

What your kids did or didn't do, is neither here nor there, to ms Creasy.

The point is women have choices these days .
Or at least we're supposed to..

And the right enshrined in law to bf our kids, whenever or wherever, without fear of harassment.

But it's generally considered most beneficial for both infant and mother to keep up with bfing where possible, for at least the first 6 months.

A breastfeeding mother in the HoC sets a great example.
(Not that that is her role of course, it's just a nice incidental benefit)

Who mentioned going back "employing servants to breast feed"? I used the term "wet nurse" as a lazy way to point out that SOME new mothers, for whatever reason, may be unable (or unwilling) to breast feed their babies. Presumably, the Health Services and Health Professionals make alternative arrangements of some shape or form. I am not a Health Professional, nor and I equipped to breast feed, so, I quite willingly admit a lack of expertise in this area. The OP made no mention of "feeding", of any nature. You were the first poster to mention breast feeding, but, it did take you until post No5.

FishFright

Who mentioned going back "employing servants to breast feed"? I used the term "wet nurse" as a lazy way to point out that SOME new mothers, for whatever reason, may be unable (or unwilling) to breast feed their babies. Presumably, the Health Services and Health Professionals make alternative arrangements of some shape or form. I am not a Health Professional, nor and I equipped to breast feed, so, I quite willingly admit a lack of expertise in this area. The OP made no mention of "feeding", of any nature. You were the first poster to mention breast feeding, but, it did take you until post No5.

A wet nurse was a servant

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
A wet nurse was a servant

So?

I know/knew that, I explained my lazy use of the term.

Last edited:

Pale Rider

Veteran
With the rules.

HTH

Drop the virtue signalling for just a moment and ask yourself a simple question.

Do we want kids running around the House of Commons/Westminster Hall/House of Lords?

I reckon a typical session in the chamber is not a suitable place for children, although they are welcome in the public gallery.

The rule is a sensible one.

All this stuff about breastfeeding and parental rights is just blather designed to (successfully) take in the chattering classes.

Drop the virtue signalling for just a moment and ask yourself a simple question.

Do we want kids running around the House of Commons/Westminster Hall/House of Lords?

I reckon a typical session in the chamber is not a suitable place for children, although they are welcome in the public gallery.

The rule is a sensible one.

All this stuff about breastfeeding and parental rights is just blather designed to (successfully) take in the chattering classes.

The first line above makes you look a chump. Please drop the personal dig; you've said before you only do this when you've been 'dug at' first. I simply responded to what you'd said.

Nobody is suggesting kids should run around the Palace of Westminster. We're talking babes in arms like my grandson - 7 weeks tomorrow.

Can you explain why barring babes in arms from anywhere at all is sensible?

Breastfeeding is inseparable from Motherhood. As a society we should be normalising it for the natural activity it is.

Did you ever actually have children? If so did their Mother take Maternity leave etc? The rights of parents are fundamental; please don't decry them.

Last edited:
Top Bottom