1976 and all that...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mudsticks

Squire
I was still at primary school then, in the burbs of Bristol .

Spent most nights of that long hot summer camped out in a homemade shelter under a ceanothus bush in our back garden.

Around that age I also got taken to the newly opened Centre for Alternative Technology , in Wales..

That clearly left a big impression, and one way or another, since then, my live, love, and work life has been influenced by knowing we were heading for deep sh1t if we didn't turn around how we operate as human beans in the world..

Progress since then has been patchy, to say the least, oil corps and their dependants, obfuscated and downright denied over climate change dangers

Despite their having done their own research and found that all that we now know to be true, was very likely to happen...

We're doing more renewables now, but it's still not enough, and it's not fast enough either.

What chance we can.slow down, and try to minimise, if not avert (too late) all the consequences of having pumped so much greenhouse gas into the atmosphere..

I was 2 years old. But, I do know from later studies at University, that this scenario that the UK, and other countries in Europe, are suffering from was predicited in the early to mid 70s.

We can't say that we weren't warned.

Last edited:

Julia9054

Regular
I was 8. My dad built a sand pit in our back yard and filled it with the wrong type of sand. My sister and I were stained red all summer.
A crack appeared in the parched soil on the small patch of "lawn" we had. I lay awake at night worrying about it getting wider and wider and our house falling into it.

Ian H

Guru
The two of us moved to Devon that September, fleeing from a mad landlady. Our crooked, rented lodge house was held together with tie-bars, just about. There was no mains water & the well had dried up. Our landlord, the brigadier, rigged up an illegal supply, pumped from a nearby ditch, and supplied us with chlorine tablets.

Rusty Nails

Country Member
In 1976 I spent lifetime than was good for me on the beach.

Can't take the heat as much these days and sunbathing/beach gets too boring.

All uphill

I was finishing my time at university; having realised I'd be a rotten architect I needed to find a proper job.

Little did I know that a year later I'd be working in one of the hottest places on earth on drilling rigs. One of many things I've done that seemed positive at the time and less so now.:blush:

OP
OP
mudsticks

mudsticks

Squire
I was watching midwives cycling to church while eating Hovis and Shippam's fish paste sandwiches before heading home on my space hopper to listen to the Wurzels on 45. It was so hot I didn't wear a tank top between April and September.

T bar sandals or two straps.??

I know what you mean about the tank top though ..

My poncho didn't see much action that summer neither 😥

I was in my O level year.

School finished after my last exam in mid June. I spent most of the time from then until work experience a month later either on my bike or watching planes on the outside spectator area at Leeds airport. A couple of nights a week I worked for 43.5p/hour in the warehouse of the local Morrisons sticking price labels on cans of beans etc.

Failed more O levels than I passed and spent much of the 76/77 academic year on retakes...

Mugshot

Über Member
I’ve noticed the same people that are saying to shut up and get on with cos it was hot in the 70s aren’t quite so relaxed about the strikes.

Edit: 1976 was particularly hot, very very hot in fact, although for the sake of clarity this was primarily in the summer. The 70’s is also known as a time when there was industrial action by various unions, although it should be noted that the year 1976 is not especially well known for its strikes.
Some people are drawing parallels between the current heatwave and the one experienced in 1976, although they really are rather different, particularly when you look at the difference in warming between 1976 and today on a global scale. However, despite telling us to go and enjoy things and having a general attitude that suggests they believe things were much better back in the day before the world went woke, they seem to be less keen on the industrial action that we are experiencing, industrial action that may start to mirror the levels seen in the 70s, the decade.

I trust that clarifies :okay:

Last edited:

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
I’ve noticed the same people that are saying to shut up and get on with cos it was hot in the 70s aren’t quite so relaxed about the strikes.

Was it unusually hot, in the 70's? I recall summer of 1976 being hot (son No1 was 4 then, and had measles), but, I don't particularly recall undue heat for the rest of the decade. Perhaps, I missed it all, while I was crawling under my rusting/unreliable cars, doing DIY botch jobs. ;)

Mugshot

Über Member
Was it unusually hot, in the 70's? I recall summer of 1976 being hot (son No1 was 4 then, and had measles), but, I don't particularly recall undue heat for the rest of the decade. Perhaps, I missed it all, while I was crawling under my rusting/unreliable cars, doing DIY botch jobs. ;)

Edited for you.

Ian H

Guru
What I remember is the drought, not the heat. A year or so later we were snowed in for several days. A year later again I was snowed out, had to stays with friends until the thaw.

Top Bottom