A warmer welcome for refugees.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
mudsticks

mudsticks

Squire
Amal's first London stop is tomorrow morning in Deptford High Street . (In Lewisham borough, first of the UK's boroughs of sanctuary.) As it's early, there's a fair chance I'll get home sober and with photos.

That should be fun .

Do post photos..:okay:

Is this also a veiled allusion to a bit of a drink problem.??

Can't wait til the sun's over the yardarm.?

Unable to foreswear the breakfast beer at 'spoons .?

Well it's been a tough year for a lot of us I s'pose.. :angel:

deptfordmarmoset

Über Member
That should be fun .

Do post photos..:okay:

Is this also a veiled allusion to a bit of a drink problem.??

Can't wait til the sun's over the yardarm.?

Unable to foreswear the breakfast beer at 'spoons .?

Well it's been a tough year for a lot of us I s'pose.. :angel:
You never learn whether you suffer withdrawal symptoms until you experiment with withdrawal....

It's just that there are 3 taprooms in Deptford, one which I have friends working in, one in which I have a financial interest and one half-way between the other two. Luckily, I'll be home before they open up...

OP
OP
mudsticks

mudsticks

Squire
You never learn whether you suffer withdrawal symptoms until you experiment with withdrawal....

It's just that there are 3 taprooms in Deptford, one which I have friends working in, one in which I have a financial interest and one half-way between the other two. Luckily, I'll be home before they open up...

Safer to just keep topped up right??

Why take the risk of suffering a hangover.:stop:

I would highly recommend to those who rely on made up myths reported in the right wing press and espoused by the home secretary to read issue one of Point 51, a European focused magazine of reportage and photo journalism to get an accurate account of what it means to be a refugee travelling in Europe. You'll find that these myths that you hold dear are sensitively challenged as you read about why people leave their homelands, friends and family to risk everything for a better life.
It's available to buy for £12, and if you don't want to pay for your own copy then I'm sure your local library would be happy to order it.
https://point51magazine.com/issues/01-journey

As Milkfloat has said the numbers in other countries, particularly Germany, are way, way higher per head of population than the UK.

Why do you think the few thousand who risk their lives crossing the Channel do so?
I do not have to think because that question has been answered, by outlets called ''right by some'' like itv and by bbc and probably many more. but the general line it that they think they get everything here the uk is seen as somekind of promised land. Now i'm not talking about whether or not that statement is correct, it's just what pulls people to here.

deptfordmarmoset

Über Member
I'll see whether any of my proper camera photos of Little Amal are worth posting up when I get home but here's a place holder from Deptford.

OP
OP
mudsticks

mudsticks

Squire
I do not have to think because that question has been answered, by outlets called ''right by some'' like itv and by bbc and probably many more. but the general line it that they think they get everything here the uk is seen as somekind of promised land. Now i'm not talking about whether or not that statement is correct, it's just what pulls people to here.

Chances are they've heard about the unwelcoming sorts, the pockets of racism, the difficulties with beurockrasi, the fact that they won't be allowed to work initially, all of that.

But maybe, they have some English, friends here, all kinds of other motivations, and good reasons.

Who knows they may even heard that some of us can be quite understanding , and welcoming..:okay:

It's not correct, as the slightest bit of research would tell you (or them).

The numbers, compared to France, Germany or the Netherlands (per head of population) are small. The overall numbers are way fewer than in the past; for example when the French had a refuge at Sangatte.

The number arriving by boat is made to sound alarming, or as though it were an invasion. The reality is that they're not swarming ashore D-Day style though if you visit the Dover-Dungeness coast you'll see the Border Force etc on patrol. They're using boats more because for various reasons there are fewer lorries plus the death of the Vietnamese at Purfleet has put the wind up them. Boats are also said to be cheaper.

The reality is that the small numbers coming here are those with family or clan in the UK and who have good English.

If we let them work it might even help resolve the tsunami (the regulator's words not mine) of problems for our care system.

Last edited:
Top Bottom