A warmer welcome for refugees.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
mudsticks

mudsticks

Squire
https://linktr.ee/walkwithamal

If you're on insta there's lots of lovely posts of her journey here.

@walkwithamal

https://twitter.com/walkwithamal?s=20

OP
OP
mudsticks

mudsticks

Squire
We have community sponsorship schemes here where local people make extra effort alongside councils to help with resettlement.

We could do more of course, and many people are willing to welcome, and help if they can.

Despite the unpleasantness spread about by the rightwing press, there are a lot of good hearted people out there. :smile:

Good stuff. 👍 The council I work for have taken in some refugees and I am working with some of the children. There is plenty of goodwill from the community and people donating items and time to help out.
Despite how it appears, the views of right wing press/columnists and shouty "celebrity" no-marks like Farage, Laurence Fox and Ann Widdecombe are not representative of the wider community.

OP
OP
mudsticks

mudsticks

Squire
Good stuff. 👍 The council I work for have taken in some refugees and I am working with some of the children. There is plenty of goodwill from the community and people donating items and time to help out.
Despite how it appears, the views of right wing press/columnists and shouty "celebrity" no-marks like Farage, Laurence Fox and Ann Widdecombe are not representative of the wider community.

Excellent news, similar here, although we could do more.

I think we need to emphasise this collective action, and make more efforts to be welcoming hospitable and helpful.

Even just in little ways..

Some people have developed this horrible habit of sneering at people as 'do gooders' 'virtue signallers' or what have you .

That needs to be countered, more strongly I think.

Since when? was expressing and showing compassion towards our fellow humans , something to be 'ashamed' of.

Faraggo and that lot are a stain on our countries record.
Shame on them :sad:

The reason why they travel from France to the uk is besides me and is it certainly not '' seeking refuge from conflict, hunger and persecution. '' like the article implies. Because in France they are safe. Despite good intentions this kind of projects are quite the opposite, because it's rewards the economy of poeple smugglers getting people the the uk the best way would be the send everyone back who comes this way, but before and after the uk left the EU France having this. And that's why many Amal's die in the cold sea. Might harsh to say it like this but it is what it is, don't try to make it sound like a humanitarian thing there's nothing humanitarian about it.

OP
OP
mudsticks

mudsticks

Squire
The reason why they travel from France to the uk is besides me and is it certainly not '' seeking refuge from conflict, hunger and persecution. '' like the article implies. Because in France they are safe. Despite good intentions this kind of projects are quite the opposite, because it's rewards the economy of poeple smugglers getting people the the uk the best way would be the send everyone back who comes this way, but before and after the uk left the EU France having this. And that's why many Amal's die in the cold sea. Might harsh to say it like this but it is what it is, don't try to make it sound like a humanitarian thing there's nothing humanitarian about it.

Where are the safe routes to asylum in the UK.

We have obligations to refugees that we I the UK are not meeting.

There would be far fewer people smugglers, and small boats if there were safe routes.

People are not obligated to stop in the first country they get to, their perception of 'safe' is not necessarily the same as yours.

By the way .

Don't look now, but your massive privelege is showing .

I don't share your confidence on the bolded bit.

Where are the safe routes to asylum in the UK.
The uk takes in much refugees, but it's a bit besides the point surely. The uk is as independent country able to set it's own border policies
We have obligations to refugees that we I the UK are not meeting.
We also have obligations towards social housing, people needing foodbanks etc. we are not meeting why import more problems, without solving current ones first?
There would be far fewer people smugglers, and small boats if there were safe routes.
there would be less accidents if people start driving cars, is about the same level.
People are not obligated to stop in the first country they get to, their perception of 'safe' is not necessarily the same as yours.
Yes, true however it does'nt take a rocket scientist to know there is a certain imagine about the uk and that's more of the reason for much more migrants to wanting to come to the uk by any means. It would be better to educate them on that and it would stop people smugglers all togehter if they are send back.
By the way .

Don't look now, but your massive privelege is showing .
Well i always moved to an other country in a legal way, but if your point is that it is a privilege the be born in a western country compared to for example Syria yes unfortnutally that is true.

AndyRM

Elder Goth
I don't share your confidence on the bolded bit.

Neither do I.

Much as I love the country, and many of its people, there are parts of it which have a huge problem with racism.

All countries do, but my personal suspicion about the appeal of Britain is that it's an island, and harder to get transported off it, should someone manage to reach it in a dinghy over the busiest shipping canal in the world...

OP
OP
mudsticks

mudsticks

Squire
The uk takes in much refugees, but it's a bit besides the point surely. The uk is as independent country able to set it's own border policies

We also have obligations towards social housing, people needing foodbanks etc. we are not meeting why import more problems, without solving current ones first?

there would be less accidents if people start driving cars, is about the same level.

Yes, true however it does'nt take a rocket scientist to know there is a certain imagine about the uk and that's more of the reason for much more migrants to wanting to come to the uk by any means. It would be better to educate them on that and it would stop people smugglers all togehter if they are send back.

Well i always moved to an other country in a legal way, but if your point is that it is a privilege the be born in a western country compared to for example Syria yes unfortnutally that is true.

You moved to other countries in a legal way because that option was open to you, having been born in a western country.

Glad you recognise that privelege at least.

And nobody tries the whole 'we need to look after our own' first argument any more do they?

That's Katy Hopkins level .

Sure we need to do better on many fronts, fully on board with that.

But you don't honestly think barely 'looking after' a few thousand refugees stops us doing that do you ??

It's not 'importing problems' these are human beings were talking about here.

Many of whom could go on to be valuable members of our communities, if they chose to settle.

Of course many refugees ultimately prefer to return to their country of origin.

Still Belgium, The Netherlands, Germany etc. etc. all don't need an dangerous sea crossing still the uk is the most populair route by far. Due you really believe that is because poeple feel unsafe?

As Milkfloat has said the numbers in other countries, particularly Germany, are way, way higher per head of population than the UK.

Why do you think the few thousand who risk their lives crossing the Channel do so?

Top Bottom