Are you still wearing a face mask?

Are you still wearing a face mask?

• Yes - all of the time

Votes: 2 5.7%
  • Yes - most of the time (in shops etc.)

Votes: 27 77.1%
  • No

Votes: 6 17.1%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
If I may add a "light hearted" comment?:

The Covid-19 epidemic appears to be over, in the soaps, (Coronation Street and Emmerdale), not a mask in sight, and, hospital visiting just wander in and wander around freely ;)

Just what I have observed whilst Mrs @BoldonLad watches them... honest ;)

FishFright

I did try to find out. Could not find any infection rates by city for Scotland. The nearest English city I could find, by population size, was Sheffield. But, without infection figures, no comparison possible. Figures for the whole of Scotland, and the whole of England are available, but, given the variation in population densities, I didn't think comparison meaningful. Others may think differently of course.

I found much the same . We do need to compare them as it's the data have to work , not good enough for a proper statistical analysis of course but it'll have to do for now.

BoldonLad

I found much the same . We do need to compare them as it's the data have to work , not good enough for a proper statistical analysis of course but it'll have to do for now.

I am most definitely not a Statistician (retired IT Person), but, I do watch/read/listen to the various figures quoted, in various media, and, to be honest, I have serious doubts. about them. They definitely do not line up with my real life observations/experience.

mjr

I am most definitely not a Statistician (retired IT Person), but, I do watch/read/listen to the various figures quoted, in various media, and, to be honest, I have serious doubts. about them. They definitely do not line up with my real life observations/experience.
That is a shame. Most of the media tries to report honestly on this but some reporters are functionally innumerate and make honest mistakes. Doubting is OK but one must guard against falling prey to the conspiracy theorists.

How does the reporting differ to what you see?

And if you look at the maps on sites like https://www.travellingtabby.com/uk-coronavirus-tracker/local then Scotland seems to be faring better than England. It is not easy to compare Glasgow and Sheffield because Sheffield borough is much bigger than Glasgow City council area but I would expect that to benefit Sheffield and it is currently doing worse.

BoldonLad

That is a shame. Most of the media tries to report honestly on this but some reporters are functionally innumerate and make honest mistakes. Doubting is OK but one must guard against falling prey to the conspiracy theorists.

How does the reporting differ to what you see?

And if you look at the maps on sites like https://www.travellingtabby.com/uk-coronavirus-tracker/local then Scotland seems to be faring better than England. It is not easy to compare Glasgow and Sheffield because Sheffield borough is much bigger than Glasgow City council area but I would expect that to benefit Sheffield and it is currently doing worse.

No chance of that for me. I don't see conspiracy here, just incompetence (in Government and NHS).

At present, what I find hard to believe is the daily infection rates, we are told that for months now, we have had daily rates in the 30,000 - 40,000 range. But, I don't know a single person who has tested positive, since summer of 2020!

On TV News, there is a different "expert" wheeled out every day, often, todays "expert" disagrees with yesterdays "expert", I have just given up listening to them.

glasgowcyclist

Über Member
I cannot find daily infection rates by area or city on the Scotland Health website, best(?) I can find is daily figures for whole of Scotland (approx 2200).

Nearest English City, by population, is possibly Sheffield (slightly smaller). But, without infection figures, comparisons are not possible, not saying the would be meaningful, even if they were available.

I came across this chart today, showing Scotland having the lowest R-number estimate for all of the UK.
England is the only nation where that R-number is 1 or higher.

R_Rate_UK.PNG

icowden

Legendary Member
Who to believe?, too much data, not enough information.

Infection rates are through the roof in Elmbridge.

My better half is an Acting Deputy Head Teacher and the infection at primary and secondary school is rife. It isn't helped with nonsensical logic from the government. For example, if Parent A, Parent B and siblings C and D test positive but little Jimmy tests negative, then little Jimmy should still go to school because he has tested negative. Never mind that Parents are not able to take him as they should be isolating. All of little Jimmy's closest friends in his class then get Covid. Can you work out what might have happened?

At secondary they are all starting to get their jabs which is helping, but as usual - barn door, stable, horse etc.

lazybloke

Regular
England is the only nation where that R-number is 1 or higher.

and, today, we have the BBC reporting that Wales has the highest infection rate of the four nations.

Who to believe?, too much data, not enough information.
More a case of too much data, not enough time to process it.

Explanation: R number and infection rates are different measures so should not be directly compared. It's quite possible for R to be highest in England and Infection rate to be highest in Wales simultaneously.

BoldonLad

You don’t hang out with teenagers then! :laugh:

Well, I do have teenage (and younger) grandchildren, as do my friends and acquaintances. Even among that wider circle, no positive tests. Yes, they have been sent home from school because class mates have allegedly tested positive.

Daughter No2 is a teacher in a Comprehensive School. She has actually had Covid, but, that was in 2020.

But, you are right, at 74, I tend not to "hang-out" with teenagers. ;)

Julia9054

Regular
Well, I do have teenage (and younger) grandchildren, as do my friends and acquaintances. Even among that wider circle, no positive tests. Yes, they have been sent home from school because class mates have allegedly tested positive.

Daughter No2 is a teacher in a Comprehensive School. She has actually had Covid, but, that was in 2020.

But, you are right, at 74, I tend not to "hang-out" with teenagers. ;)
Since the schools went back in September:-
A steady 2.5 - 3% of the pupils where I teach off with covid.
In my department of 20 staff, 2 have had covid (both vaccinated)
3 teenagers of my acquaintance (unconnected with where I teach) currently have covid. One of whom I sat next to at a band practice for 2 hours on Friday night!
25% of the staff at the school where my husband teaches have been off with covid this half term.
Its everywhere

BoldonLad

Since the schools went back in September:-
A steady 2.5 - 3% of the pupils where I teach off with covid.
In my department of 20 staff, 2 have had covid (both vaccinated)
3 teenagers of my acquaintance (unconnected with where I teach) currently have covid. One of whom I sat next to at a band practice for 2 hours on Friday night!
25% of the staff at the school where my husband teaches have been off with covid this half term.
Its everywhere

I have school age grandchildren here (Tyne-Wear), and Berkshire. None of them have been off since they restarted school in September. Daughter No2' s school is functioning, it is not something I quiz her about, but, she has not commented on any staff absence, other than the regulars.

Last edited:
I have school age grandchildren here (Tyne-Wear), and Berkshire. None of them have been off since they restarted school in September. Daughter No2' s school is functioning, it is not something I quiz her about, but, she has not commented on any staff absence, other than the regulars.

Son's partner is Primary Teacher in Liverpool and has seen a reasonable number of both staff and kids either sick or self isolating. Fact he had Covid himself didn't help.

There are also other virulent respiratory/ENT infections doing the rounds spread in a large part by kids.

Top Bottom