Are you still wearing a face mask?

Are you still wearing a face mask?

• Yes - all of the time

Votes: 2 5.7%
  • Yes - most of the time (in shops etc.)

Votes: 27 77.1%
  • No

Votes: 6 17.1%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mjr

It boggles me that those 81% of people that think masks are a good idea aren't wearing them all the time now.... are they so institutionalised that they only do something sensible when they are compulsorily instructed to. Sigh.
I think I saw on BBC TV last night that train usage is still down something like 49% from pre-covid, so it may be that a significant number of those who want masks back on public transport are currently cycling, e-biking or driving in, or working from home. They would wear masks on public transport but they want everyone else to wear them too.

I think I saw on BBC TV last night that train usage is still down something like 49% from pre-covid, so it may be that a significant number of those who want masks back on public transport are currently cycling, e-biking or driving in, or working from home. They would wear masks on public transport but they want everyone else to wear them too.

Commuter usage is around 50% of pre-covid and rising; was less than 40% in early summer.

Leisure usage is around 80% of pre covid.

D

Deleted member 28

Or those who don't want Mobile Phone masts by their houses but want perfect coverage.

BJ cares so much about the environment that he fell asleep (apparently drunk) during COP26 and cares so much about the potential of others catching COVID that he sat next to 95yo Sir David Attenborough without wearing a mask.

Words fail me. :sad:

BJ.jpg

MrGrumpy

Regular
From your Id, I assume "here" is Scotland, perhaps, even Glasgow. Has mask wearing being a legal requirement produced better infection figures than in equivalent English Cities?
It would be fair to say that mask usage has dropped up here. Shops and restaurants are still wholly compliant amongst customers but my work place for example is noticeable in non compliance and nobody being challenged.

However there was one guy off work for 7 weeks , got long covid. Very very I’ll, double jabbed etc. he certainly goes about with a mask now , not before ?!

MrGrumpy

Regular
I’ve used the train a few times this year to get to work and they are very quiet. However the industrial estate near my work which is part of the financial sector of the city is pretty much shut down and folk working from home. That’s part of the answer , roads are a lot busier of course than they were but nowhere near pre covid.

deptfordmarmoset

Über Member
I’ve used the train a few times this year to get to work and they are very quiet. However the industrial estate near my work which is part of the financial sector of the city is pretty much shut down and folk working from home. That’s part of the answer , roads are a lot busier of course than they were but nowhere near pre covid.
Road traffic in London is busier than I've ever seen it and because there are plenty of bus lanes, it's quicker by bus than by car. And they're comparatively empty.

glasgowcyclist

Über Member
BJ cares so much about the environment that he fell asleep (apparently drunk) during COP26 and cares so much about the potential of others catching COVID that he sat next to 95yo Sir David Attenborough without wearing a mask.

Words fail me. :sad:

It's best to be cautious with this type of photo and remember that it shows a momentary snapshot (maybe 1/100th sec) of an event. Is there video showing he was asleep?

(edit to add missing word)

Last edited:

Archie_tect

The way Johnson's slumped shows he wasn't attentive and engaged even if he's not deeply asleep.... sends a message out to the world that he's less than sincere. Thank goodness the Queen has the respect of the world's leaders to prod their collective conscience- not sure Charles will to the same degree.

lazybloke

Regular
Based on my commuting yesterday:
Four Southwestern train services (London commmuter services)- masks are optional but about 95% of passengers had them.
Two TFL services within London - masks are a condition of travel but compliance varied between about 40% and 70% depending on time & location.

As I've noticed before, the passengers most likely to wear masks are the commuters, or "suits".
I assume the others are simply less considerate, or simply simple.

The evening train home was standing room only, rammed in; shoulders brushing shoulders. Had to face away from the guy next to me who had no mask; moved away from him as soon as I could. Later he was closing windows; so much for ventilation.

Typical Clapham Junction crush circa 5:30pm:
1636477044340.png

mjr

As I've noticed before, the passengers most likely to wear masks are the commuters, or "suits".
I assume the others are simply less considerate, or simply simple.
Or they won't lose as much income as one of those suits if they catch covid, perhaps. Could be loads of reasons. I think that assumption may be a bit dodgy.

D

Deleted member 28

I see 30,000 every weekend at the football without masks, myself included, multiply that by every stadium in the country there's a few people out there who are 'simple'.

Archie_tect

I see 30,000 every weekend at the football without masks, myself included, multiply that by every stadium in the country there's a few people out there who are 'simple'.
Wonder what the infection rate is amongst each team's supporters across the UK compared to other close communities.

mjr

Well, yes, we know there are many, but at least you're mostly outside and face-to-back.

Top Bottom