Big brother Tesla

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CXRAndy

Veteran
All great, but calling it FSD flirts self death.

Elon would say Go fark Yourself

:laugh:

CXRAndy

Veteran
A selective report from a main Tesla hype site.
https://www.teslarati.com/tesla-sweden-technician-if-metall-strike/amp/

But the question really has to be asked about 'collective bargaining is not needed'.
A ratty smell.

Its the American way of doing business. Its not like employees are throwing themselves of the top of the Giga factory roof. It may well be that a large proportion or even a big majority don't want to stop work.

I understand Tesla is taking the DVLA equivalent in Sweden to court over refusal to hand over documents for vehicles, when Tesla has argued they could collect said documents-part of the wider union strike action.

stowie

Yes, but very few people have actually purchased FSD. Most just use Autopilot which is worlds ahead of anything provided by competitors.

Is standard autopilot massively different to other vehicles? Genuine question as I have never driven a Tesla.

Basic Autopilot appears to be active cruise control and active steer (or lane-keep assist?).
My 8 year old BMW can do radar based active cruise control with collision detect and auto braking. Most new vehicles will have lane-keep assist and many will have active cruise control.

Enhanced Autopilot has auto-parking, active lane changing and car summon. I have driven rentals with autoparking that range from laughably woeful to does-it-well-but-a-bit-slowly. Active lane changing is a feature or option on quite a number of cars these days. The summon stuff seems quite unique but I am struggling to find a benefit. On-ramp / off-ramp looks a good feature - although some other cars now have navigation assist options normally through the HUD which I have experienced and is very good. Not sure if the Tesla automatically steers the car to the off/on slip roads or how well this works (in UK).

FSD is definitely a work in progress (even says this on the Tesla site). One can be optimistic and say that it is improving every year, or be a sceptic and say it is a triumph of techno-boosterism over reality. FSD is an incredibly hard problem and one that was minimised by many car manufacturers - it is just that Tesla were there first and Musk is a better booster than most CEOs.

As far as I am aware, Tesla uses cameras for all driver aids (although I think they put back ultrasound sensors?). If so, I expect their active cruise control to be computationally more intensive than my BMW radar and probably employing AI techniques where the BMW is (I guess) algorithmic. I can see the logic (although it has downsides) - it means that - within the bounds of the onboard compute capability - it is easier to upgrade the ADAS systems and add more features. But I am yet to be convinced that the Teslas that can be driven right now are signficantly ahead of the competition with ADAS in any meaningful way. I am happy to be disproved!

The autopilot works and safety systems work very well. Just yesterday, the car detected the traffic slowing down rapidly and alerted me. I was ok with plenty of distance to come to a full stop from 70mph but the car had spotted the gap closing faster than I had

My collision avoidance in my older BMW has done a similar thing (using radar) in the past. Once on the motorway when the car in front broke hard to try to make the slip road. I haven't tested how well the system works by - say - just ploughing towards a traffic jam, but the active cruise control has slowed me smoothly down from 50mph to 10mph for a jam very effectively (with my foot hovering over the brake pedal in case).

Don't get me wrong. I like the Tesla cars, and am in awe that they upended an entire industry steeped in a hundred years of ICE knowledge. I feel Tesla have hit a wall (no pun intended) with FSD like most other players and ADAS is a field where other manufacturers have either caught up or are close to doing so.

The fundamental issue I have is Musk has consistantly overplayed the self-driving capabilities and this is deeply unhelpful. The industry needs to be seriously looking at how to keep driver attention with these aids acting as a backup rather than muddying the water with claims about driverless cars. It is well known with Airlines that pilots can lose focus when flying with their autopilot aids, or rely on them too much, or simply set them incorrectly. And these are people chosen specifically for this skillset and given huge amounts of training. It will become more of an issue as more ADAS features become common on most vehicles - how to stop drivers simply not paying any attention? Volvo and others already are putting in driver cameras to monitor behaviour and this might be needed if these aids are to be properly used.

CXRAndy

Veteran
Tesla has drivers cameras, installed from 2017 first model 3, then S/X, active from 2021. I would say, its good ,but not light years better than some others. R Symons has done collision testing on various Teslas and other brands, check out his Youtube channel

stowie

Tesla has drivers cameras, installed from 2017 first model 3, then S/X, active from 2021. I would say, its good ,but not light years better than some others. R Symons has done collision testing on various Teslas and other brands, check out his Youtube channel

I hadn't seen that channel before. First video up was a parking test with Tesla, BMW and Audi where various Teslas did a truly terrible job of auto-parking whilst the BMW and Audi were perfect. :laugh:

I struggle with why Tesla ditched the parking sensors and rely upon vision only. I was involved in a project a good number of years ago with passive video measurement for distance and it was tough. Imagine perpendicular parking with a white wall behind you. At some stage the rear camera vision is going to be all white wall and nothing else, making distance measurement impossible. In this scenario, humans take their cues from other surrounding objects (eg. car next to you) to estimate distance, but all the scuff marks on car park walls indicate it isn't an infallible process! Ultrasound sensors are cheap and the algorithms on distance measurement are tried and tested. In the project I was involved with we went with active sensors coupled with video since the cost and development time with passive only was far higher than buying sensors and reusing tested code.I guess the summary is that Tesla seem insistent in using complex AI (presumably) to do the same job as can be done as well (or better) with some cheap sensors.

Having said this, I am considering a Tesla 3 when I eventually need to change the car. Simply because it is a saloon car in a world full of stupid SUVs and that the Tesla charging infrastructure is still way, way better than anything else. "FSD" and fancy parking isn't much good if you can't drive it because the chargers are down.

Reactions: C R

classic33

Patent for Tesla Cybertruck is already owned by Rivian, rival manufacturer.
They've held the patent since 2020
https://patents.google.com/patent/US20190016231A1/en

https://electrek.co/2023/12/01/rivian-already-has-a-patent-on-teslas-cybertruck-range-extender/

CXRAndy

Veteran
Patent for Tesla Cybertruck is already owned by Rivian, rival manufacturer.
They've held the patent since 2020
https://patents.google.com/patent/US20190016231A1/en

https://electrek.co/2023/12/01/rivian-already-has-a-patent-on-teslas-cybertruck-range-extender/

It's such a basic concept, that the patent will be easy walk around.

Id not be surprised to find many prior designs for extending battery capacity already known. Prior designs will flatten (pun) Rivians patent.

US patent office famous for accepting just about any type of patent. Courts will test the validity if Rivians has the balls to pursue it.

Top comment from website
"A patent is only as good as its Claims. I suspect they got the patent because of the internal cooling feature, but that alone would not be good enough. In this case the claims can be designed around very easily because of how they are worded."

Depends on the success and roll out of the Cyber truck.

It all comes down to actual design, then the silly argument like when Apple sued for curved corner on its phone. They spent hundreds of millions trying to crush Samsung. Came to nothing.

Rivian hope to meet 52,000 sales this year. If it's to believed, Tesla with it's established building of cars should be able to achieve that quite quickly. Satisfying the 2 million preorders

Last edited:
OP
OP
albion

albion

Guru
'The rear motor was replaced thirteen times, so if we include the original that it came with, that's fourteen motors over the course of about 1.2 million miles.
Most of the replacement motors were actually refurbished units and the problem there is that Tesla didn't know the real issue so it didn't know how to properly fix the motors. '

https://insideevs.com/news/699413/highest-mileage-tesla-model-s-3-batteries-14-motors/amp/

I assume, possibly wrongly that the issue or quality problems, have now gone.

CXRAndy

Veteran
From early years 2013 to 2017, there were issues with motors and batteries. After 2017, quality has improved. The numbers are impressive non the less given its huge mileage.

icowden

Legendary Member
Top Bottom