Big brother Tesla

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Yes, I'm criticising current moderation. Despite complaints they often fail to remove content that most people would find objectionable. Death threats and pro-paedophilia accounts don't always contravene their terms and conditions for example. It's not that Twitter aren't aware of them.

As Albion says though, Musk cutting the number of moderators wouldn't improve that. It would require a change in emphasis in the direction of moderation.

Quite interesting to see what happens with all the celebrities and blue tick accounts who said they would leave if he bought Twitter. They seem to staying at the moment.
Agreed current moderation is really bad, musk hasn't changed a thing yet.

An interesting article on The Verge - Welcome to Hell, Elon.

I think it highlights a whole raft of issues associated with owning social media, but the biggest bear-trap is assuming it is an engineering issue rather than a social one. Plus that social media is really simply a medium to get eye-balls on advertising space. And if the social media space becomes a toxic dumpster-fire then advertisers will run a mile. If anyone needs a "safe space" it is corporate advertisers promoting carefully curated brands.
Jup but Twitter is also still very important to advertisers despite the hell it can be, every us elections you get those ''if you're democrats don't buy from this brand and vice versa'' And Musk is very aware of what he was buying he has practically invented creating twitter controversy and use it for it own gains.
Look at the past, Tesla would have been killed one way or an other by big car or oil companies if it wasn't for the role of social media. They are just not able to control things anymore like they used to do.

I don't get why celebrities are whining over paying for a blue tick. If you don't want one don't pay for it. You'll have to drop down to just being one of the regular Twitter plebs though.

At the moment Eric Idle has 500k followers to whom he can promote any book, film, or project, for free. $8 a month for an advertising platform that reaches half a million people (not including re Tweets) doesn't seem bad value. Celebrities just don't like paying for stuff and I think they simply don't like the idea that being a Blue Tick won't be quite as exclusive as it was if anyone can buy one.

People always imagine they are bigger than the platform. None of those who said they would leave Twitter seem to have done so yet.
Agreed that the crying about the $8 dollar is a bit silly, although i think it's more about anyone being able to do so.
But it fits a bit in what Musk stated before after and still says he wants to stop the circle of an particular group to ''hijack twitter'' i'm not talking about bots but more about the opinion police for example, not sure if having a blue tick is going to change much to that, but he didn't just state that it would be open for all he also stated that there would be a second under title for organisations goverments etc. (i believe goverments already have something like that)

So maybe in the future it's just something to see who wasted his money, just like it is on some websites with similar systems.

icowden

Legendary Member
So could a parody/Eric Idle not buy a blue tick ?
I think it's a good idea paying for it anyway.Makes it easier to spot all the mugs giving Elon their money.

No. Parody accounts are not eligible for a blue tick.

OP
OP
albion

albion

Guru
No doubt prominent blue ticks will actually get paid a fee or have the payment scrubbed.

The problem now with the blue tick is that they are buyers and thus also seen as supporters.
Lots of advertisers are stepping back from Twitter, no doubt returning if and when they feel that no negativity is garnered.

The other big investor in Twitter seems to be Saudi Arabia using Prince Alwaleed bin Talal as the front. That guy looks a prisoner in his own country so his job will likely be as stooge to Salman in return for some freedom. Is it going a similar way in the Republican party, Trump the ruler?

Last edited:

Beebo

Veteran
Twitter staff told not to come to work today. And laptops are all locked down.
A mass sacking has begun.

Rusty Nails

Country Member
I may have to sack Twitter....

I dare you....

go-on-cards.gif

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
Yes. That was the point. In order to get a blue tick you have to jump through quite a lot of hoops to prove that you are you. You have to prove that you are:

Authentic (official website, photo ID, official email address),
Notable - so news coverage, google trends, wikipedia, industry references, follower or mention count,
Active - twitter account must have a profie name and image, be active, have a confirmed email address or phone number and you must not have had any lockouts in the last 12 months (excluding successful appeals).

Having satisfied all of those, twitter will give you a blue tick so that people know you are you.

Sounds impressive, but, if I see a twitter account, allegedly belonging to some notable/influential person, with no blue tick, it would appear that it is not immediately obvious if it is fake, or, if said notable/influential person, has simply not paid for a blue tick?

OP
OP
albion

albion

Guru
Meaning now is that all none ticks are the servile mass,trolls or bots.
And all ticks are there for gain. Catch 22 for more than a few no doubt.

matticus

Guru
Sounds impressive, but, if I see a twitter account, allegedly belonging to some notable/influential person, with no blue tick, it would appear that it is not immediately obvious if it is fake, or, if said notable/influential person, has simply not paid for a blue tick?

Correct. You have to use your own judgement. I must say it's a while since I saw a celeb account that didn't have a blue tick.

(HAVE they actually done this yet?? I should pay more attention ... )

icowden

Legendary Member
Yes exactly. At the moment you can't pay for a blue tick, you have to prove that you need one and are the person you say you are.

This is why:-

View: https://twitter.com/RobertKazinsky/status/1587925158417031169?s=20&t=uat6C0EW1vQY0SW6hHnYHA

Top Bottom