Brexit is going wonderfully as shown by these examples

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
https://www.newstatesman.com/world/europe/2023/04/ireland-booms-brexit-whimpers-next-door

All the usual caveats about what GDP, and especially GDP per capita, actually signifies, but these are striking graphs, aren’t they? What could have caused the acceleration in 2016?

E86188A8-8B91-4045-B761-FC810DCC45CB.jpeg

70FB1CA7-C6BE-41FE-9993-A0EC07C24E44.jpeg

• Sad
Reactions: C R

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
https://www.newstatesman.com/world/europe/2023/04/ireland-booms-brexit-whimpers-next-door

All the usual caveats about what GDP, and especially GDP per capita, actually signifies, but these are striking graphs, aren’t they? What could have caused the acceleration in 2016?

View attachment 3670

View attachment 3671

Might it have something to do with their advantageously low rates of Company Taxes?

Might it have something to do with their advantageously low rates of Company Taxes?

It may be that’s part of the equation, and the likes of Minford, Redwood, Mogg, Kwarteng and Truss would say we should emulate them. Given that GDP has been used by politicians of all most hues as an indicator of success I still find the growth graph striking.

In reality Ireland, like the UK, is still worse off than it would have been without Brexit.

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
It may be that’s part of the equation, and the likes of Minford, Redwood, Mogg, Kwarteng and Truss would say we should emulate them. Given that GDP has been used by politicians of all most hues as an indicator of success I still find the growth graph striking.

In reality Ireland, like the UK, is still worse off than it would have been without Brexit.

As a remain voter, I don't doubt it.

albion

Guru
Reality means the DUP are certainly between the devil and the deep blue sea.

The good news is that they will have no choice but to embrace the agreements.

Unkraut

Master of the Inane Comment

I've got an England trip planned for July, and it's no joke having driven across Europe to have to wait in a queue for hours in order for the paperwork to be looked at. This is especially true where there are families with young children (I need the toilet!). The organisation of Eurotunnel on the French side is a shambles. Took 3 1/2 hours last time.

The trip out this time is with the ferry - I wonder if that will be any better.

I'm returning on the first day of the school holidays, so this will enhance the entertainment even further. This is with Eurotunnel, the organisation on the English side is much better.

Was it really not possible to negotiate an agreement that would prevent all this? It's irritating for tourists but impedes trade for truckers which is more serious.

Finally, I am fully aware there are far worse things going on on this planet at the moment!

icowden

Legendary Member
Was it really not possible to negotiate an agreement that would prevent all this? It's irritating for tourists but impedes trade for truckers which is more serious.
Apparently not without surrendering our independence. The EU offered all sorts of concessions on freedom of movement but Boris and Cameron said "no!". Hence these queues, Musicians losing their livelihoods etc.

deptfordmarmoset

Über Member

Top Bottom