Brexit is going wonderfully as shown by these examples

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 28

More winning - and in more ways than one!

https://www.theguardian.com/politic...u-have-dropped-by-more-than-half-since-brexit

You see, now we won't need to import all those forrriners to come and pick fruit. - Brexit Success!

You need to concentrate on your health and get some timber off you fat f*cker.

D

Deleted member 121

Brexit was designed to be inevitable. Tax loop holes for the super rich. Plus we get to have brown migrants instead of white so we get more diversity.

Is that why the beaches and surrounding seas covered in brown sewage shite as well?

Isn't this the same paper that supported Brexit? :rolleyes:

telegraph.jpeg

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
Isn't this the same paper that supported Brexit? :rolleyes:

View attachment 3960

Perfectly in keeping with Brexit.

This is about the plucky Brits beating the system, leaving the EU, AND, bending the EU rules, so that they can still do as they please.

Similar comments can be found daily on on any Motorhome/Caravan forum, about how to cheat the (post Brexit) rules on no dairy products etc being carried into France.

BoldonLad

They can't do as they please. That's the point.

No upside to this crap.

I know that they can't do as they please, but, they like to THINK they putting one over on "the foreigners".

I agree, there is no upside.
;)

C R

Über Member
I know that they can't do as they please, but, they like to THINK they putting one over on "the foreigners".

I agree, there is no upside.
;)

I can't read the article. What's the supposed trick, getting citizenship of an EU country?

C R

Über Member
I can't read the article. What's the supposed trick, getting citizenship of an EU country?

So I now managed to read it. What a misleading headline. They had to apply for a visa, so no getting around the limit.

BoldonLad

No idea, I didn’t read it. As I said elsewhere, the internet is awash with “ways to cheat”the 90 day rule, and, other Brexit related, rules.

Poacher

Regular
2017: Suzannah Starkey is pleased the “European experiment” is over. Her family owns the only commercial orchard of the original Bramley apple tree and she has found the single market disastrous for the domestic apple sector.

It’s a small family team but they do rely on eastern European workers who come to handpick the fruit every year. For all of her excitement about leaving the EU, and the knock-on effect that may have on customers buying domestic produce, is she concerned about potential changes to the legislation surrounding free movement of people?

“I think the seasonal pickers will still want to come. Whichever way you cut it, they’re going to be paid more in England than in their own country. Defra [the Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs] will, I presume, realise we can’t get enough English workers to do the work – we won’t have any farming [in this country] if we don’t have our extra help.”
https://www.theguardian.com/small-b...8/after-brexit-english-apples-bramley-starkey

(NB. Starkey's derived much, probably most of their turnover from soft fruit, particularly strawberries)

2023: A family farm that has been producing soft fruits for 75 years has said rising costs have forced it to stop growing berries.

Starkey's Fruit, near Southwell, in Nottinghamshire, said it has recently lost traditional sources of seasonal workers.

Suzanna Starkey said wages had gone up and, along with low prices from buyers, this made the business unsustainable.
For decades, Starkey's Fruit has grown blackberries, raspberries and strawberries for supermarkets, farm shops and wholesalers.

In recent years it was growing about 800 tonnes of soft fruit in polytunnels.

But Ms Starkey, sales director for the farm, said the business has been "squashed at both ends", with rising wages for pickers meeting inadequate prices from buyers.

She said traditionally they would use up to 140 pickers, mostly from the EU.
"Many of them had come to us for years, they knew it was a good place to work," Ms Starkey said.

"But with Brexit it became more difficult and they just did not feel welcome."

The farm then used agency workers from further afield but the costs had soared.
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-nottinghamshire-65793174.amp

(Edit: I read elsewhere that Starkey's were trying to get cheap labour from prisoners out on day release, presumably from the nearby Lowdham Grange prison. I wonder what happened to that idea.)

Last edited:

BoldonLad

2017: Suzannah Starkey is pleased the “European experiment” is over. Her family owns the only commercial orchard of the original Bramley apple tree and she has found the single market disastrous for the domestic apple sector.

It’s a small family team but they do rely on eastern European workers who come to handpick the fruit every year. For all of her excitement about leaving the EU, and the knock-on effect that may have on customers buying domestic produce, is she concerned about potential changes to the legislation surrounding free movement of people?

“I think the seasonal pickers will still want to come. Whichever way you cut it, they’re going to be paid more in England than in their own country. Defra [the Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs] will, I presume, realise we can’t get enough English workers to do the work – we won’t have any farming [in this country] if we don’t have our extra help.”
https://www.theguardian.com/small-b...8/after-brexit-english-apples-bramley-starkey

(NB. Starkey's derived much, probably most of their turnover from soft fruit, particularly strawberries)

2023: A family farm that has been producing soft fruits for 75 years has said rising costs have forced it to stop growing berries.

Starkey's Fruit, near Southwell, in Nottinghamshire, said it has recently lost traditional sources of seasonal workers.

Suzanna Starkey said wages had gone up and, along with low prices from buyers, this made the business unsustainable.
For decades, Starkey's Fruit has grown blackberries, raspberries and strawberries for supermarkets, farm shops and wholesalers.

In recent years it was growing about 800 tonnes of soft fruit in polytunnels.

But Ms Starkey, sales director for the farm, said the business has been "squashed at both ends", with rising wages for pickers meeting inadequate prices from buyers.

She said traditionally they would use up to 140 pickers, mostly from the EU.
"Many of them had come to us for years, they knew it was a good place to work," Ms Starkey said.

"But with Brexit it became more difficult and they just did not feel welcome."

The farm then used agency workers from further afield but the costs had soared.
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-nottinghamshire-65793174.amp

(Edit: I read elsewhere that Starkey's were trying to get cheap labour from prisoners out on day release, presumably from the nearby Lowdham Grange prison. I wonder what happened to that idea.)

Sounds like Karma to me?

Salty seadog

Top Bottom