AndyRM
Elder Goth
It's really a thing you either get or you don't.
The truly sad thing is that it's so ingrained in certain areas, and I mean passed down through generations, that sectarianism isn't going anywhere.
Oh yes, those, and completely not understanding how tribalism has such a strong grip on even vaguely educated people and societies. I feel like I must be missing a gene, so complete is my incomprehension.
I'm not sure that this context helps much, but it might be fair comment.
🤷🏼♂️
View attachment 17469
I'm unsure if it has anything to do with religion (Catholic vs Protestant). I suspect it's just tribalism, in the same way as people can't live peacefully with muslims or LGBTQ+ or Gender dysphoria, etc.
Or even the next town over sometimes .
The retail lobby wants tourists to be able to claim a VAT refund for their UK shopping. So they commissioned Cebr to produce a report claiming it would deliver a multi-billion pound boost to the Exchequer. It convinced Sadiq Khan and Kemi Badenoch. But we rebuilt their model and found four fatal errors – once fixed, their model shows a huge loss.
Normal Neidle warning, but if you remember that report a week or two ago that giving 20% VAT rebates to foreign tourists' purchases would raise £2.6bn for the UK, it seems to be based on wildly inflated figures produced for the funders of the report.... luxury goods retailers.
https://taxpolicy.org.uk/2026/09/28/vat-free-shopping-cebr/
We've lost our resident reporter, @TailWindHome, since a spat on the EU thread in June.
After weeks of arguing with the resident MAGA fan, apparently it was me that pushed him over the edge.
What an achievement.After weeks of arguing with the resident MAGA fan, apparently it was me that pushed him over the edge.
And thanks to the wonders of "Ignore" I missed it all.Yeah, his departure was a bit Chasey-ish, all guns blazing and everyone else going "WTF?" Didn't remember that tendency in Cake Stop despite provocation over Northern Ireland (not from you).
And thanks to the wonders of "Ignore" I missed it all.
Though I do wonder if he's back. But now with Trűmpton having completely gone off the rails, without the MAGA obsession.