BRFR Cake Stop 'breaking news' miscellany

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rusty Nails

Country Member
Oh yes, those, and completely not understanding how tribalism has such a strong grip on even vaguely educated people and societies. I feel like I must be missing a gene, so complete is my incomprehension.

At the end of the day we are just animals, hopefully a bit more civilised than our ancestors, but still animals. Life and society is a constant battle between good and bad plus mine and yours.
 
OP
OP
briantrumpet

briantrumpet

Timewaster
I'm not sure that this context helps much, but it might be fair comment.

🤷🏼‍♂️

1790511939879.png
 

Rusty Nails

Country Member
In the late 60s/early 70s I used to work in IT with a lad from Belfast, ordinarily a great bloke and not overtly religious at all, but every few weeks he would go back to Belfast to take part in the riots with his mates.

Can't say I understand it but it does show how insidious sectarianism/ tribalism can be.
 
  • Like
Reactions: C R
OP
OP
briantrumpet

briantrumpet

Timewaster
Normal Neidle warning, but if you remember that report a week or two ago that giving 20% VAT rebates to foreign tourists' purchases would raise £2.6bn for the UK, it seems to be based on wildly inflated figures produced for the funders of the report.... luxury goods retailers.

https://taxpolicy.org.uk/2026/09/28/vat-free-shopping-cebr/

The retail lobby wants tourists to be able to claim a VAT refund for their UK shopping. So they commissioned Cebr to produce a report claiming it would deliver a multi-billion pound boost to the Exchequer. It convinced Sadiq Khan and Kemi Badenoch. But we rebuilt their model and found four fatal errors – once fixed, their model shows a huge loss.
 
  • Like
Reactions: C R

Psamathe

Squire
Yeah, his departure was a bit Chasey-ish, all guns blazing and everyone else going "WTF?" Didn't remember that tendency in Cake Stop despite provocation over Northern Ireland (not from you).
And thanks to the wonders of "Ignore" I missed it all.

Though I do wonder if he's back. But now with Trűmpton having completely gone off the rails, without the MAGA obsession.
 
OP
OP
briantrumpet

briantrumpet

Timewaster
And thanks to the wonders of "Ignore" I missed it all.

Though I do wonder if he's back. But now with Trűmpton having completely gone off the rails, without the MAGA obsession.

It's a pity, as he used to be a useful (and reasonable) poster reminding Cake Stop that NI shouldn't be ignored (and couldn't be ignored for Brexit). It rather felt that MAGA Andy broke him, but maybe I'm misremembering.
 
Top Bottom