BRFR Cake Stop 'breaking news' miscellany

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I rarely use Photoshop and don't even have Gimp installed but it sounded (at least in the past) that a lot of overlap between the two but Adobe seem relaxed about it.

I did have a look around recently as my main use of Adobe is LrC and I was considering moving to something else and was considering what else would replace my occasional Photoshop use but never got as far as investigating specific packages that would support my few .psd images.
Adobe might be relaxed about while they figure out what to do. If they explode with rage and righteous indignance it rather suggests the knockoff is worth them worrying about.

Copyright lawyers earn a lot because its not straightforward. I am not a copyright lawyer, so take the below woth a pinch of salt...

Even if you were to take their suite of software titles and give the list different names but advertise that each one does the same as its Adobe counterpart, I'd say there's an arguable case. Also, while I dont know much about software code, on the face of it if you use Adobe products as close inspiration and write something to do the same thing, theres a chance it does it in the same way, no? Then there's screen layouts, instruction manuals and so on. By analogy to copyright in the general plot of a novel, as opposed to the exact words used, if all your knockoff software does the same things in a way that users of Adobe will find sufficiently familiar, where the Adobe products are the inspiration, "copying" could happen. In principle.
 
Top Bottom