But Where Are You Really From?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

matticus

Guru
You really think that's what happened??

That Ms Fulani went to the reception, and somehow coerced Lady Hussey to be racist towards to her on purpose.??
In order to gain publicity.?

Wow that's quite a reach.

Ms Fulani was already going there to be part of gathering to talk about combating VAWAG.

Oh.

I didn't know discrimination (positive or negative) had to be planned in advance.

Anyway, still waiting to hear the details of the discrimination that occured against her ..

mudsticks

Squire
Oh.

I didn't know discrimination (positive or negative) had to be planned in advance.

Anyway, still waiting to hear the details of the discrimination that occured against her ..

I never said it did, you were the one implying that ms Fulani had done this, set this scenario up, intentionally in some way for publicity ..

Something that Shep was trying to imply I believe, nice company to find yourself in 👍🏼

For the last time as I fear your brain is impervious to this information.

Ms Fulani had discriminatory language used against her, because of her skin colour and perceived ethnicity. I (for instance) wouldn't have been treated to such an interrogation if I turned up and upon being questioned as to my origin said "I'm from Devon"
.. when in fact that's a big old lie, as I'm actually from Yorkshire - via Bristol!!

The whole encounter made ms Fulani feel very uncomfortable, and unwelcome, as she said herself the rest of the event 'was a bit of a blur' (or words to that effect)

Therefore the way she was treated adversely affected her ability to fulfil her whole purpose of being at the event.

If you don't think that's racist discrimination then there's no helping any of it.

OP
OP
Bromptonaut

Bromptonaut

Rohan Man

I'm sure it's already been spelled out in this thread.

I'm a white man in my early sixties. Worked in London from 1979 to 2013 and then in Northamptonshire. I was though raised in the West Riding and retain my short vowels and talk of the 'garridge' rather than garaaaage. Now while somebody may well comment on the accent they're not going to go full on where are you really from.

In my experience, based on stuff written my Black or Mixed Race people and interactions related by BAME colleagues in the past, that question is saved for those regarded as insufficiently British. And that's where the discrimination occurs.

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
Exactly it's not right, why on earth should people have to 'prepare' for the possibility of encountering racism .

I mean people who do encounter discrimination, do do that as a default almost, because it's an everyday part of their lives..

But to suggest that someone at Sista Space should be saying.

"Look there's likely to be a good few unreconstructed old fossils at this reception so better mind your ps&qs, and expect to be talked down to, alright??"

Rather than going in there optimistically, assuming that everyone is going to be welcoming.
- Especially the people tasked with doing the 'welcoming'🙄

Surely it's up to The Palace, with vastly more resources, and duty to 'do the right thing' to check that everyone at the reception, knows how to behave themselves, and how to speak to people who might not look or be (shock horror) exactly like them.

Do you actually mean that the Palace are responsible that EVERYONE (including guests) knows how to behave themselves?

oldwheels

In Stornoway or Tarbet (Harris) Asian shop and restaurant keepers also speak Gaelic.

Their English has that sort of hybrid of UK and Asian accents you hear in Bradford. No idea if that carries into the Gaelic.

Not been in contact with Lewis since my wife died but there was certainly a fair size community of gaelic speaking Asians.
We used to sell to one shop in Stornaway owned by an Asian.

mudsticks

Squire
Do you actually mean that the Palace are responsible that EVERYONE (including guests) knows how to behave themselves?

Where did I say including the guests?

I said that the people tasked with 'welcoming guests' should be properly trained or briefed on how to do that.

If they're not already capable of doing that .

I explicitly stated that it shouldn't be up to guests to have to anticipate encountering such bad manners.

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
Where did I say including the guests?

I said that the people tasked with 'welcoming guests' should be properly trained or briefed on how to do that.

If they're not already capable of doing that .

I explicitly stated that it shouldn't be up to guests to have to anticipate encountering such bad man

I highlighted your words in bold, perhaps, you didn't notice, so, just those words:

"duty to 'do the right thing' to check that everyone at the reception, knows how to behave themselves,"

perhaps, you mean to say:

"duty to 'do the right thing' to check that all everyone, welcoming guests, at the reception, knows how to behave themselves,"

Top Bottom