But Where Are You Really From?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mudsticks

Squire
The wonderful world of twitter, hours of amusement that unfortunately people take seriously.
You on there, so you'd know right??

The most thoroughly decent of all racisms, the envy of the world.
Well let's face it, we proudly exported it around the globe, so it must be pretty good stuff right 👍🏼

matticus

Guru
It wasn't posted in isolation. @Craig the cyclist made a clear statement to the effect the the term is offensive.
Oh sure, I'd noticed that there had been some witterings about it on here. Apparently some of you care about this stuff, so I did some research. Apparently it's quite problematic for some:

https://www.hrmagazine.co.uk/content/comment/the-bbc-has-dropped-the-acronym-bame-should-you
BAME stands for black Asian minority ethnic. It’s one of those ‘truisms’ that was created by people with the authority to make unilateral decisions about the identity of others, without them even being in the room. This is the ultimate definition of power and privilege.
If you must use a catch-all phrase for anyone who isn’t white, I prefer to use the term global majority.

1670324929961.png Shereen Daniels
12 December 2021

D

Deleted member 28

You on there, so you'd know right??
I can ensure you I'm not.

mudsticks

Squire
I can ensure you I'm not.

You might even assure me at a pinch :rolleyes:

So how come, you're so convinced, you know so much about it. ??

Ah yes, you've formed an assured opinion about something without having much experience, or knowledge, or even having given much thought to the thing.

Keep up the predictable work 👍🏼

D

Deleted member 28

You might even assure me at a pinch :rolleyes:

So how come, you're so convinced, you know so much about it. ??

Ah yes, you've formed an assured opinion about something without having much experience, or knowledge, or even having given much thought to the thing.

Keep up the predictable work 👍🏼

I don't know much about it at all other than the amount of people on here providing links to it proves it's important to them, there's even a thread dedicated to it!

I stand erected, I can assure you I'm not a user of it.

mudsticks

Squire
I don't know much about it at all other than the amount of people on here providing links to it proves it's important to them, there's even a thread dedicated to it!

I stand erected, I can assure you I'm not a user of it.

Yup, there's a good boy, like I said, keep up the predictable work 👍🏼

Unkraut

Master of the Inane Comment
Same as 'woke religion'
Well there is an element of tongue in cheek saying that. But I think it is true that we now live in a social media world where people can get offended at what someone has done or said whether it is true or not, and there is nothing more they can ever do to be forgiven for it. The cancel culture. The railing against racial prejudice, ageism and sexism except when it suits you ('middle-aged white males').
You don't have to be on twitter to get that the conversation was about putting ms Fulani in her place, and that it only took place because of her appearance and the prejudgements that Lady Hussey drew from that.
Is there an objective source which recorded exactly what was actually said?

You cannot know what motivated Lady Hussey to say what she did. Is it fair to assume that she is racially prejudiced? Was there any attempt to sort this out between the parties concerned, as it was more a private conversation than a public pronouncement. Was there any need to put it out for the Court of Twitter to decide what wrongdoing had gone on if any? If someone has 'sinned' against someone else, shouldn't they sort it out between them?
As for making out the poor old white upper classes are being oppressed ??
Who says the upper classes are oppressed? The cultural Marxist division of everyone into oppressor or oppressed is far too clumsy to be an accurate appraisal of the modern world.

Top Bottom