Bye Bye Democracy.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 28

Apparently aimed at younger people because they have no ID?

Let me tell you this, having kids of 20 &23 one of the first things they do is make sure they have ID once they turn 18 as most pubs/clubs won't let you in without one.

You show me a student without an ID card.

The last time this was bought up people were saying it was the older folks being discriminated against because of how difficult it was for them to get ID, make your minds up!

D

Deleted member 28

Did you look at the article or do any reading around the subject before responding? Is a student card acceptable as voter ID?

I did but missed that part, apply for a driving licence at 17 then?

I did but missed that part, apply for a driving licence at 17 then?

Many young people have no desire to drive. Why should they be expected to apply for and pay for a licence to use a motor vehicle as a prerequisite for voting? The two matters are totally unconnected. What about blind people or those with other disabilities that exclude them?

More to the point, what problem do you believe is being fixed by insisting on voter ID?

D

Deleted member 28

Many young people have no desire to drive. Why should they be expected to apply for and pay for a licence to use a motor vehicle as a prerequisite for voting? The two matters are totally unconnected. What about blind people or those with other disabilities that exclude them?

More to the point, what problem do you believe is being fixed by insisting on voter ID?

Err .....as a form of ID perhaps?

We've done this to death already so go dig the old topic out if you want.

OP
OP
cookiemonster

cookiemonster

Über Member

UK of course. We're not talking about HK which has never been a democracy, even under UK rule.

Oh, HRW are not a reliable source of info for anything in HK. They strangely never mention the appalling brutality of the 'Protesters.' The Police could've waded in within days and stopped the riots, using colonial era laws left over by the British, but they played the waiting game. Human Rights only apply to certain people according to HRW, certainly not the victims of the 'protesters' brutality. HRW don't believe they deserve 'human rights.'

HK now or HK of July -December 2019? I know which one I prefer.

So, about the erosion of democracy in the UK.

Last edited:

Cirrus

What is the feeling in HK re China at the moment? We don't get a huge amount of reporting here, had reports re the Tiananmen Square memorials being removed etc, but no real feeling for what going on there and impact on peoples' lives if any.

OP
OP
cookiemonster

cookiemonster

Über Member
What is the feeling in HK re China at the moment? We don't get a huge amount of reporting here, had reports re the Tiananmen Square memorials being removed etc, but no real feeling for what going on there and impact on peoples' lives if any.

I cannot speak for all of HK but people are more concerned about getting back to normal after the most stringent anti-covid measures in the world. HK has been essentially shut to the outside world for over 2 years. Also, no-one really wants to see any more demos after 2019 and, it appears, that HKers are quite happy with the quiet.

HKers are also quite pissed at the USA using HK as a weapon in their spat with China, started by Trump. This was a fight that we never wanted to be part of. The level of repression on the mainland is a worry, as it may creep here, as well as the 'Patriots running Hong Kong' policy. Tiannanmen Square memorials have been removed, wrongly. The proposed 'Patriotic Education Plan' worried many but seems to have been put on hold, for now.

We are not being repressed. We are not having a humanitarian crisis, as stated by HRW but not everything's perfect.

HK was a warzone in 2019 and I never want to see that again.

SCMP.com is your best bet for more balanced reporting in HK, and the comments sections are still as feisty as ever. Also, do not believe anything written in the Guardian about HK, they've gone full Daily Mail when it comes to us. Some of their stories are just nuts.

Rusty Nails

Country Member
This is an important issue that needs to be resolved, affecting anything between 2% and 6% of the electorate, but nowhere near the end of democracy. It would be wrong to introduce the policy before the issue is resolved and it does need to be publicised.

But please don’t trot out the old “ first they came for....”.

Top Bottom