Can the (Met) police ever change?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 49

Salty seadog

spen666

A long but interesting read. If they are prepared to lie in a case as relatively trivial as this, is it any wonder that public mistrust is so common?

View: https://medium.com/@harrythetallcyclist/how-i-got-arrested-for-being-a-pedestrian-a66bd3c86472

Its very clear from reading that story that the writer was arrested for "failing the attitude test" and is telling a rather slanted version of events.

The sense of self entitlement is very high.

I suspect ( and it is based on my experiences of dealing with both police & public) that this matter would have proceeded very differently if the writer had behaved without such a sense of entitlement.

The writers conduct resulted in the offending motorists getting away with their behaviour whilst the writer talked himself into arrest/ There is a time and a place to lecture police on the exercise of their powers, the lack of vegan milk, the literature provided in the cells [Incidentally, he was lucky to be provided with anything to read! There is no obligation on the police to provide a library of reading material].

Rusty Nails

Country Member
Its very clear from reading that story that the writer was arrested for "failing the attitude test" and is telling a rather slanted version of events.

I suspect ( and it is based on my experiences of dealing with both police & public) that this matter would have proceeded very differently if the writer had behaved without such a sense of entitlement.

The writers conduct resulted in the offending motorists getting away with their behaviour whilst the writer talked himself into arrest/ There is a time and a place to lecture police on the exercise of their powers, the lack of vegan milk, the literature provided in the cells [Incidentally, he was lucky to be provided with anything to read! There is no obligation on the police to provide a library of reading material].

I know you put the attitude bit in quotes but that should have nothing to do with it unless the public are just supposed to respond without question to anything a police officer says no matter how little that officer apparently knows about the law or how to enforce it fairly.

Neither attitude, nor "self-entitlement", whatever that is, are crimes, or even misdemeanours afaik.

C R

Über Member

Next time I mug someone I'll make sure I get them to sound entitled to the police so that the police charge the victim instead of me.

deptfordmarmoset

Über Member

No sense of entitlement to fabricate charges on the part of the police officer concerned then....?

D

Deleted member 28

In other words 'the blokes a c*ck and got what he deserved '.

Ian H

Guru

Slanted in what way? From what evidence?

I'd like to think that I am entitled not to be arrested merely because a copper doesn't like my attitude.

OP
OP
glasgowcyclist

glasgowcyclist

Über Member
Norwich Police screwed this one up. As is so often the case with cops who have a bad attitude, they stubbornly painted themselves into a corner and, instead of admitting they overstepped the mark, made themselves look foolish.

They later threatened other pedestrians with arrest too, including a 66yr old woman who walks with the aid of crutches and was fed up with the danger these drivers presented.

A police spokeswoman did later concede that some officers who wrongly waved through drivers would receive guidance.

The farcical situation is reported here:

https://www.eveningnews24.co.uk/new...sing-threatening-behaviour-city-road-blocked/

https://www.eveningnews24.co.uk/new...ice-will-remove-people-block-exchange-street/

https://www.edp24.co.uk/news/23112645.norwich-group-slams-norfolk-police-exchange-street-reply/

Top Bottom