Can the (Met) police ever change?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mudsticks

Squire
That is nonsense and you know it, the NHS did'nt become ''more militaristic'' when the military helped with the vaccine logistics now did they? But it was just an example, i'm all ear who you would put in the position to re-organise the police in a way i just told above? I think an Army general would be the kind of person able to organise something like that, as that's part of what they need to do in an conflict situation.
The MET (and by all account many other police forces) have a serious problem with misogyny, and racism.

You don't seriously think someone from the military is best placed to tackle that toxic culture.?? :blink:

That is nonsense and you know it, the NHS did'nt become ''more militaristic'' when the military helped with the vaccine logistics now did they?
I think the problem is more about culture and behaviour than logistics and organisation. The military were not put in charge of the NHS.

I don’t have any quick fix - I don’t think anyone does. The best we can hope for is that the current focus, within and without, has some good effect but it’s a huge ship to turn round.

The MET (and by all account many other police forces) have a serious problem with misogyny, and racism.

You don't seriously think someone from the military is best placed to tackle that toxic culture.?? :blink:
Feel free to deliver an example of someone else who could tackle that, it's easy to critize the army/military and i understand it's not perfect but on the other hand note that i did not say the military but a military general, there is a difference you know, a general has to follow an certain path, has certain qualities. Before the west give everything away it where the general's that made the strategy on the ground to restore order and install law and order in Afganistan for example. if you can do that in an area that is litterly flattened in some case you believe than can't handle the MET? or any other police force for that matter?

Feel free to deliver an example of someone else who could tackle that, it's easy to critize the army/military and i understand it's not perfect but on the other hand note that i did not say the military but a military general, there is a difference you know, a general has to follow an certain path, has certain qualities. Before the west give everything away it where the general's that made the strategy on the ground to restore order and install law and order in Afganistan for example. if you can do that in an area that is litterly flattened in some case you believe than can't handle the MET? or any other police force for that matter?
You believe policing London - or anywhere in the U.K. - is like policing Kabul?

I think the problem is more about culture and behaviour than logistics and organisation. The military were not put in charge of the NHS.
Agreed, now i'm also not suggesting to put the military in charge, i'm suggesting to ask a military general or multiple to look at the situation and come with an system on how to improve the police. The us police has since a certain review mandoratory bodycams for example, also not watertight but it's start.(and that the us police has it's issues on it's own is an whole other topic, but i do acknowledge that)
I agree with you that it's more culture and behaviour, but the quote an (now old dutch police officer) it's good to be able to trust poeple, it better to keep control over the situation. i'm very sure dat 99% of the officers displaying the abusive behavior in this topic, will not have shown that same behavior if they knew they would'nt get away with it. If you take any expert to help with such a system i think the army general would be the best person for that job.
I don’t have any quick fix - I don’t think anyone does. The best we can hope for is that the current focus, within and without, has some good effect but it’s a huge ship to turn round.
I would love to disagree with you but i have to agree, it seems very widespread unfnortnualty
You believe policing London - or anywhere in the U.K. - is like policing Kabul?
Not at all but i do believe that a general who has to worked in such a area has certain skills that could also be useful when needing to see how to improve the Police, albeit an totally different situation. At the very least better then the alternative ''ask politics'' so we get and endless list of succesors to mrs Dick or we get some career politician to solve the issues by not solving them.

i'm very sure dat 99% of the officers displaying the abusive behavior in this topic, will not have shown that same behavior if they knew they would'nt get away with it.
No shoot.
If you take any expert to help with such a system i think the army general would be the best person for that job.
You don’t think racism, misogyny and homophobia are issues in the armed forces?

You don’t think racism, misogyny and homophobia are issues in the armed forces?
Sure they are, but once again i'm not talking about the military completly taking over i talk about one or more experienced general to look at how they police can be run better.
Seeing that limited setting i don't think your copying over the issues, the armed forces also have a much better track record then the police has.

They're an issue in society generally.

Are you suggesting we recruit off-world? Or perhaps a hermit?
I’m suggesting that Dutchie’s generals, that have demonstrably failed to root out such issues in the military, may not possess the skills to do so in the police either.

matticus

Guru
I’m suggesting that Dutchie’s generals, that have demonstrably failed to root out such issues in the military, may not possess the skills to do so in the police either.
Has there even been a General whose job was to root out those issues? he/she would certainly have a lot of experience at dealing with them. More so than a Professor of Gender Politics - who presumably would be your nominee ;-) Oh hang on, you admitted you didn't have a quick fix, so I guess we won't be hearing your nominee ...

Has there even been a General whose job was to root out those issues? he/she would certainly have a lot of experience at dealing with them. More so than a Professor of Gender Politics - who presumably would be your nominee ;-) Oh hang on, you admitted you didn't have a quick fix, so I guess we won't be hearing your nominee ...
Not having my own imaginary candidate doesn’t mean I can’t evaluate those that are put forward, does it? What a strange rule that would be.

D

Deleted member 49

No....they don't deal with them.

matticus

Guru
Not having my own imaginary candidate doesn’t mean I can’t evaluate those that are put forward, does it? What a strange rule that would be.
Fair enough ... but perhaps look at your own criteria: absurd to hire anyone from a realm where there are known problems. Really??

D

Deleted member 49

Strip it back,get rid of the dead wood and get someone from outside the Met to come in and try and reform it ?

Top Bottom