Can the (Met) police ever change?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
mea culpa. I just tried to make something useful out of this hopelessly vague, virtue signalling nonsense:
Here’s a challenge then. Show me examples of the problem being dealt with successfully throughout a branch of public service and I will be better able to judge whether the leader involved will make a suitable Met commissioner, bearing in mind that the job requires other skills too.

And thanks for the .sig.

Does there need to be some sort of amnesty for all but the most egregious stuff on Whats App etc but with a very clear statement that from this day forward anything that is racist, misogynist etc will be investigated with serious misconduct proceeding to follow if a bar is crossed?

This would not cover physical misconduct like the use of punishment strip searches or physical mistreatment in stop/search etc.

swansonj

Regular
Does there need to be some sort of amnesty for all but the most egregious stuff on Whats App etc but with a very clear statement that from this day forward anything that is racist, misogynist etc will be investigated with serious misconduct proceeding to follow if a bar is crossed?

This would not cover physical misconduct like the use of punishment strip searches or physical mistreatment in stop/search etc.
That runs into the problem of who is going to enforce it. We know from cyclechat that people differ over what is racist or misogynist, and your average sergeant, inspector, or whatever, is drawn from just the same culture as the average constable. Plus the other problem that besets any attempt to root out unwanted behaviours, that a necessary part of police culture is to support each other. The Commissioner could make that pronouncement and I don't think much would change per se. Changing the culture of any organisation is tough, for the military and police probably tougher than most. And it's only by tackling the culture, not just the behaviours, that progress will be made.

fozy tornip

fozympotent
That runs into the problem of who is going to enforce it. We know from cyclechat that people differ over what is racist or misogynist, and your average sergeant, inspector, or whatever, is drawn from just the same culture as the average constable. Plus the other problem that besets any attempt to root out unwanted behaviours, that a necessary part of police culture is to support each other. The Commissioner could make that pronouncement and I don't think much would change per se. Changing the culture of any organisation is tough, for the military and police probably tougher than most. And it's only by tackling the culture, not just the behaviours, that progress will be made.
That dalek mod from the mother site. He’ll wear them down.

Rusty Nails

Country Member
Has there even been a General whose job was to root out those issues? he/she would certainly have a lot of experience at dealing with them. More so than a Professor of Gender Politics - who presumably would be your nominee ;-) Oh hang on, you admitted you didn't have a quick fix, so I guess we won't be hearing your nominee ...
About 15 years ago I worked with one Brigade for six months, on organisational not military work, and was very impressed with the processes and ability of the officers at all levels to work towards setting targets, making them known, reviewing progress and achieving their goals.

I am not advocating that the Met takes on a top military commander to run it, but I would not necessarily rule it out provided the person is chosen well and given the right TOR and support by politicians for the task.

Tried and tested has not worked so far so an open mind is needed on the best choice.

Am I missing something here? Surely the first step is to have in place a robust internal reporting system where complaints/allegations/incidents can be reported and where those reports are followed-up in a suitable way?
Large corporations 'seem' to be able to do this. The red lines should be fairly clear.

D

Deleted member 49

He will have to search his list of people with strange/unusual names for potential candidates.
Mmm....strange sounding name,strong military background, now who could that be ?

Top Bottom