Climate Crisis: Are we doing enough?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

matticus

Guru
The biggest barrier to people using cars less is their attitudes. I'm not a lunatic and understand people need cars for some tasks. Cars are an incredibly useful resource but all it takes is a moment outside a school gate or a small time observing the local shops to realise many people can't be arsed to walk, cycle, hop, gambole whatever. The idea of using cars less = massive tax increases and subsidy doesn't compute into my thick skull. If you can walk, walk... If you can cycle, cycle etc etc.

And in addition, there is the hopelessly moto-centric attitudes funneling people into driving to things. Sooo many events are focused on car-parking. how about this gem:

file.jpg

AndyRM

Elder Goth
Oh dear. Although I can kind of see the logic if folk are stocking up and don't have the means to transport bulky or heavy purchases by bike/public transport.

icowden

Legendary Member
They really need to accelerate the removal of all ICE vehicles there. Population density dictates so.
Can't do it without subsidy. The most polluting vehicles now will likely be panel vans and small lorries for trades where they can't afford to just go out and buy an electric version.

albion

Guru
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news...nerally-popular-report-ordered-by-sunak-finds
Yet another report burial.
"Policies to help people walk and cycle such as low-traffic neighbourhoods can create public health benefits as much as 100 times greater than the cost of the schemes, a long-term study of active travel measures has concluded."
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news...p-to-100-times-greater-than-costs-study-finds
"While studies appear to show their effectiveness, and polling and elections tend to indicate they are popular, the Department for Transport announced last year it would no longer fund councils to introduce them after media controversy."

albion

Guru
More on this.
https://road.cc/content/news/government-tried-bury-positive-ltn-report-307183
'After ordering the review, Sunak was accused by Cycling UK of using LTNs as a “political football” ahead of the next general election, with the charity’s CEO Sarah Mitchell insisting that people want to reduce their dependency on motor vehicles and that interventions such as LTNs enable them to do just that, and that it was “lazy to label LTNs as anti-car" '

Positive news for London.
https://www.theguardian.com/environ...able-progress-in-improving-london-air-quality

They really need to accelerate the removal of all ICE vehicles there. Population density dictates so.
And the lobby against the ULEZ showed statistics that showed that car pollutions wasn't or had a minimal effect. Lies, damn lies and statistics..
Now i'm the last one to say which one of the two is correct, i think they are both correct by measuring in a slightly different way, however Population density is an consequence not an cause, so if you remove all ICE what gonna be the next step? Because the cause sure as hell isn't being addressed judging by the amount of newly build mega flats off mediocre quality at best, for a super premium price, so the one building it can keep on sponsoring the tories.

icowden

Legendary Member
And the lobby against the ULEZ showed statistics that showed that car pollutions wasn't or had a minimal effect. Lies, damn lies and statistics..
Now i'm the last one to say which one of the two is correct, i think they are both correct by measuring in a slightly different way, however Population density is an consequence not an cause, so if you remove all ICE what gonna be the next step? Because the cause sure as hell isn't being addressed judging by the amount of newly build mega flats off mediocre quality at best, for a super premium price, so the one building it can keep on sponsoring the tories.

Not sure what you are on about here? Are you suggesting some sort of ULEZ zone for buildings should be stopped from entering the capital because they give off emissions?

the snail

... if you resell you fuel cell car it still works 10 years on where as battery cars become big chunks of waste as the batteries would be run down and replacing them would not be economical, are they really better still? i highly doubt it
Fuel cells don't last forever either, and they are very expensive. IIRC, there was a story a while back of a German driver who was quoted 100k euro to replace the fuel cell in his Toyota. Also it costs 10x as much to run a Hydrogen car vs. BEV. They will never be a viable option for personal transport.

AndyRM

Elder Goth
https://themindcircle.com/the-line-...ql_Tm-2sbOpGXIdbFZ7lXqcoBb-BixWIxQ_HUpjExQ0V0

Apparently work is underway on The Line, which will:

The project, which is currently under construction in Saudi Arabia in Neom, Tabuk, will have no roads, cars, or emissions. It will run on 100% renewable energy and 95% of the land will be preserved for nature. People’s health and well-being will be prioritized over transportation and infrastructure, unlike traditional cities.

Bold claims, and I'd be impressed if they can pull it off but I can't see how it's going to be possible without doing some serious damage to the surrounding area in the first place.

Top Bottom