Climate Crisis: Are we doing enough?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rusty Nails

Country Member
I think it probably means that your farm is not a statistically significant sample

One farm will never be a statistically significant sample, to state the obvious, but the number of women running farms is significant, and growing:
https://www.theguardian.com/food/2020/aug/16/we-are-stewards-of-our-land-the-rise-of-female-farmers
https://www.gov.uk/government/news/environment-secretary-salutes-britains-women-farmers

I have also read that in excess of 25% of people working in farming are women...depending on the definition of working on a farm.

Last edited:

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
Most of the farms around here are family businesses, which means that everyone, male, female and other, mucks in.

Do you know, by the way, who the head of the NFU is?

Not a clue, but, at a guess, I would say a woman. ;)

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
One farm will never be a statistically significant sample, to state the obvious, but the number of women running farms is significant, and growing:
https://www.theguardian.com/food/2020/aug/16/we-are-stewards-of-our-land-the-rise-of-female-farmers
https://www.gov.uk/government/news/environment-secretary-salutes-britains-women-farmers

I have also read that in excess of 25% of people working in farming are women...depending on the definition of working on a farm.

Wouldn't disagree with any of that.

Great to hear that Women are increasingly taking leading role in running farms.

With four daughters, I am very much in favour of femail advancement, not necessarily in agriculture.

I am pleased to say, on balance, my daughters have done rather well for themselves.

But, time to circle the wagons.

D

Deleted member 28

There's an expression that's been around for decades..
I guess it's passed you by..

That "It's much easier to be it, if you see it"

If people think a thing is not for them because they don't see people like them doing that thing, or represented in the media, they will be dissuaded from, or at least not encouraged to give it a go.

Such as in my case mechanised agriculture.
And probably from riding motorcycles, although there are plenty who do anyway.

Women and girls have been put off from trying all sorts of things by all kinds of (blokey bollix) sexist attitudes.
I had to put up with (or challenge) all kinds of outdated notions about what was possible, or even 'appropriate' when I was training

If I'd listened to even a third of it, I wouldn't be where I am now.

If women see other women doing it, and making a go of it, they're far more likely to think that it might be for them too.

Thankfully since I started far more women have come into agriculture, not just as 'farmers wives' or assistants with baby animals.
But as business owners, doing the full spectrum of work.

I've been cited over the years by quite a few women as an 'inspiration' to their agricultural and land based careers.

I'm pleased about that, and take it as a compliment.
The more of us there are in this field the better imo.

This is encouraged at least in part by other women 'seeing it'.

Same with most STEM disciplines, and other activities seen as traditionally reserved for males.

Oh right, so if I was a Lesbian and me and my girlfriend wanted to buy a new bed or kitchen or some oven chips I would be more inclined to do so because there are lots of lesbians in adverts?

Same goes for mixed race couples I suppose, IKEA must be rammo with gay people and mixed race families then.

qigong chimp

Settler of gobby hash.
Oh right, so if I was a Lesbian and me and my girlfriend wanted to buy a new bed or kitchen or some oven chips I would be more inclined to do so because there are lots of lesbians in adverts?

Same goes for mixed race couples I suppose, IKEA must be rammo with gay people and mixed race families then.

Yes. That's exactly how it works.

Rusty Nails

Country Member
Somehow I don't think so but if you makes you happy.

Advertising campaigns are expensive to design and run. Commercial firms do not do it because they feel like coming over all woke and egalitarian but because they believe it helps increase business. They usually are able to assess the success or otherwise of their advertising and are not keen on wasting money.
It is not always just about one individual advert, which can usually only have limited success, but on a theme or picture they want to project about their company to attract as wide a range of customers as possible.
The fact you choose the rather reactionary approach to such adverts does not surprise me, but I would trust their judgement on the effectiveness of broadening the appeal of their advertising before someone who preferred Brutus shirts to Ben Sherman.

Poacher

Regular
Why did you suggest that it might be the case then.?

Are you some kind of sad, half-witted idiot, ineptly trying to get attention ?

Surely that couldn't be so ?? 🙄

Generous to a fault, so you are!

mudsticks

Squire
Generous to a fault, so you are!

Oh don't -
- someone tried to get me canonised one time for less..

A bit worrying tbh, given that I think you have to be dead for such a process to happen.🤔

Not quite ready for that, just yet.. 😳

mudsticks

Squire
We can always just glue a large gold plate to the back of your head.

I have to say, I've been known to wear sillier things.. 😇
.. but can also see a couple of situations where that could prove awkward.

Wind resistance leading to neck problems and so on.

I think I'll just pop a star 🌟 on my sticker sheet for now 👍🏼

Top Bottom