Climate Crisis: Are we doing enough?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

matticus

Guru
Can a layman easily deploy a ground-based anti-helicopter missile?

[I don't think the funding will be an issue ... ]

the snail

Sunak attacking 20mph zones and LTNs, announcing new fossil fuel licences. 900% increase in profits for British Gas - silence.

multitool

What we are witnessing is the ruthlessness of the Tories. They will do anything to get elected.

We are approaching climate tipping point.

multitool

Labours answer....hold my beer 🙄

You need to go beyond one-step thinking.

Proposing expensive green measures, especially ones that force changes in lifestyle are electoral suicide. (regardless of how essential and inevitable they are). This is what Labour are contending with...Tories absolutely going into the gutter.

Sure, take the high ground...but the problem is those words will not turn into actions.

(see also Jeremy Corbyn's worthless promises)

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.

Proposing expensive green measures, especially ones that force changes in lifestyle are electoral suicide. (regardless of how essential and inevitable they are). This is what Labour are contending with...Tories absolutely going into the gutter.

Sure, take the high ground...but the problem is those words will not turn into actions.

(see also Jeremy Corbyn's worthless promises)

True, and, surprise, surprise, Politicians of both major parties avoid coming clean on such proposals.

What another party says is not relevant, they are not going to form the next Government, or, indeed, in all probability, the one after that.

icowden

Legendary Member
I'm not sure that they actually would be any more. People are getting more and more concerned about climate change.

D

Deleted member 49

What you mean like your 3D drivel ? Nah I'm allright thanks.
The Tories know that Labour will honour/go along with whatever fecked up promises they make before the next election,so why not ?
Screenshot_20230731-101734-723.png

(see also Jeremy Corbyn's worthless promises
Get over it....I know it's frustrating because Labour had some vision under Corbyn.But we've moved on,well obviously not you.

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
I'm not sure that they actually would be any more. People are getting more and more concerned about climate change.

They may be getting "concerned", but, it is concern at the level of "something must be done, provided it is not me who has to do it", witness the latest complaining about "low traffic neighbourhoods".

multitool

I hope you are right.

The young certainly are, but there's a subset of the older population who are ready and willing to be told what they want to hear.

multitool

What you mean like your 3D drivel ? Nah I'm allright thanks.

No, that 3D thing is your invention. And by the way, it's becoming a little predictable now.

Get over it....I know it's frustrating because Labour had some vision under Corbyn.But we've moved on,well obviously not you.

You aren't getting the point.

Lofty words mean zero unless the person saying them is elected. And to get elected, politicians have to play by the rules of the game.

D

Deleted member 49

No, that 3D thing is your invention. And by the way, it's becoming a little predictable now.

You aren't getting the point.

Lofty words mean zero unless the person saying them is elected. And to get elected, politicians have to play by the rules of the game.
Talk about predictable....yawn.

matticus

Guru
"People are getting more and more concerned about climate change."

They may be getting "concerned", but, it is concern at the level of "something must be done, provided it is not me who has to do it", witness the latest complaining about "low traffic neighbourhoods".
No "BUT" needed! Concern/awareness/alarm/wotever is growing, and it has been doing so steadily since the 70s. Political rhetoric may swing to-and-fro, but this figure will only go upwards. I guarantee that!

The resistance to LTNs etc is normal NIMBYism, and is countered by all the voters in those areas who generally vote FOR those who brought LTNs in. Again, this is clearly on a long-term upward trend. The antis noise is always a few noisy voices - many studies show this - and they calm down in time. Like the "Who moved my cheese" man.

Top Bottom