Climate Crisis: Are we doing enough?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.

I’m surprised that the Tyre Extinguishers have moved on from lentil enabled deflation to criminal damage. Exeter sounds quite a lawless place.

IMG_3679.jpeg

https://news.sky.com/story/wimbledo...ealership-in-retaliation-over-deaths-12935495

matticus

Guru
I’m surprised that the Tyre Extinguishers have moved on from lentil enabled deflation to criminal damage. Exeter sounds quite a lawless place.

View attachment 4371
https://news.sky.com/story/wimbledo...ealership-in-retaliation-over-deaths-12935495

... and that is the perfect picture to illustrate the bigger picture. It's astonishing that some people have seen that, and not drawn the rational conclusion (even though I don't expect many people to go drilling tyres!)

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
I wonder if all those clapping the idea of abolishing capitalism have thought this through.

The jobs that pay for their cars, homes, smartphones and other toys would largely go the journey.

Some genuine poverty might cause them to reconsider their view.

Don’t they all have public sector jobs?

Pale Rider

Veteran

No doubt paid for by a government which has nothing to raise income from.

Even the Chinese realised they had to embrace capitalism if they wanted any more for the populace than dragging carts around paddy fields.

But no doubt a leftie hack from the Guardian knows better.

Unkraut

Master of the Inane Comment
I wonder if all those clapping the idea of abolishing capitalism have thought this through.
This is the problem when "the science" is being used for an economic and political agenda. The same constituency that ditches science when it comes to gender (other threads are available) insists science is Holy Writ when it comes to climate. This can trigger a certain level of scepticism ...
The jobs that pay for their cars, homes, smartphones and other toys would largely go the journey.
Someone pointed out during the occupy era that if you brought down the wealth of those running corporations to achieve more equality, then if the protesters wanted to have more equality with those in the developing world they would in turn have to reduce their wealth in a similar way. That idea never occurred to them - equality has its limitations. Happy to carry on using the devices and networks the corporations provided though!
Some genuine poverty might cause them to reconsider their view.
The Green party here in the Fatherland are having problems with voter share because they are perceived as being the party of forbidding you to have this or do that or go there. Goverment overreach. Imposing costs on the less well off. A new command economy replete with thou shalt nots. Now there are still plenty who remember the command economy of the old DDR, which was not particularly wealthy and in which levels of pollution beggared belief. You couldn't protest against it either, this was not allowed.

In any event whatever "we" do, with both Britain and Germany contributing about 2% each to world CO2 emissions, it is irrelevant unless the countries with massive output don't massively reduce it.

Whatever the future has in store, ever more government and ever more regulation doesn't historically have a very good track record of dealing with it.

matticus

Guru
Someone pointed out during the occupy era that if you brought down the wealth of those running corporations to achieve more equality, then if the protesters wanted to have more equality with those in the developing world they would in turn have to reduce their wealth in a similar way. That idea never occurred to them - equality has its limitations.

Some amazing telepathy going on here. Just PERHAPS those seeking more social equity globally HAVE realised that we could live with less "stuff", and that can be achieved at the same time as less childhood misery (for example) in the 3rd world.

Simplistic example; all those charity ads saying "For just the price of a coffee a week ..."; and in fact you CAN do a huuge amount overseas with such small sums.

mudsticks

Squire
Some amazing telepathy going on here. Just PERHAPS those seeking more social equity globally HAVE realised that we could live with less "stuff", and that can be achieved at the same time as less childhood misery (for example) in the 3rd world.

Simplistic example; all those charity ads saying "For just the price of a coffee a week ..."; and in fact you CAN do a huuge amount overseas with such small sums.

Having enough - And knowing what that is, is an essential skill for achieving contentment - I know lots of people who manage it.

Nope some of us run businesses for our livings.

But there seem to be quite a few on here that have difficulty understanding that there are of ways of organising socially just societies, that are neither unregulated 'greed is the ultimate good' exploitive, extractive capitalism, nor all out communism.

Many European countries are much closer to being social democracies than we are.

Since brexitting we seem to be drifting further away from that.

Maybe it is just in our true nature as a nation to be nasty mean minded isolationists, letting the devil take the hindmost.

I optimistically chose to believe we can do better.

Top Bottom