Climate Crisis: Are we doing enough?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
The rise of globalisation has been a blessing and a curse. We've lost jobs and whole industries as manufacturing moved east, but we've benefitted from their cheap labour with the reduced price of their goods. It's lifted millions out of the worst poverty in Asia but encouraged us to become an increasingly consumer driven society, swimming in cheap imported fast fashion and plastic tat. How do we stop the consumer roller coaster without putting half of China back into more poverty?

Well, I probably don't have your firm and unimpeachable base to stand on.

I mean, a random TV clip on the internet trumps everything, doesn't it?
It's still more then you provided, but to give you an other example, none of the IPCC reports backs your statements, is the IPCC also something that trumps everything?

Last edited:
The rise of globalisation has been a blessing and a curse. We've lost jobs and whole industries as manufacturing moved east, but we've benefitted from their cheap labour with the reduced price of their goods. It's lifted millions out of the worst poverty in Asia but encouraged us to become an increasingly consumer driven society, swimming in cheap imported fast fashion and plastic tat. How do we stop the consumer roller coaster without putting half of China back into more poverty?
Who benefitted from cheap labor? If our bread/bicycles, fancy smartphones where made paying an decent wages to everyone to begin with nothing would have changed other then companies finding an other way to hit their profit margins.
It would however put China and other low wages countries in an whole different position.

D

Deleted member 49

Some good news hopefully,local to me

Abandonment order issued for Preston New Road fracking site, as campaigners declare: 'Good riddance'
The company behind the controversial Preston New Road fracking site in Fylde has been told that it must plug its two wells there by the end of next year.

matticus

Guru
You known there is an women form the 3rd world, very smart and she wrote an book which comes down the the following ''we need to stop funding the third world is we really want them to prosper, were now mainly funding the dictators.
(Which like we see in Niger than turn to Wagner and or Russia to overthrows their government)

What makes you known better than someone actually living/have grown up there?

Have you got any facts to back that statement? I ask that because last time someone was asked that on the telly(which i saw on youtube) it turned out to be much of an if if if claim, and more based on assumptions then clear facts. (the IPCC doesn't say that either)

The rise of Free Speech has been a blessing and a curse.

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
Never mind Bolders, at least you get to squat on the sidelines and cheerlead your favourites. 👍🏼😉

I mean it does come across a bit (very much) like the bully boys sidekick from school, loving all the aggro, but not actually being brave enough to come out with any it yourself. 😉

And then trying to pretend that you find all this conflict "Oh so difficult to cope with, and isn't it a shame that people can't be nicer?"

Fwiw I got an 'A' at 'O' level English (both sorts) 💃

Clever you. I didn’t do A levels. Did first year, but, then had to leave and get a job, due to family circumstances. Then did the rest of my further education at night classes and day release, when I could get it.

mudsticks

Squire
Clever you. I didn’t do A levels. Did first year, but, then had to leave and get a job, due to family circumstances. Then did the rest of my further education at night classes and day release, when I could get it.

Same me too, what a co incidence.!!

I started doing 3 science A levels.
But also left home to work - at just 17.

And also fitted in FE later on. 👍🏼

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
Does this belong here ( or in one of the general Slagging off the Tories threads)? Anyway:

A former Conservative minister failed to declare she held more than £70,000 in Shell shares while she was environment secretary. Theresa Villiers admitted her shareholding in the oil and gas company in her latest update to the register of members' financial interests.
https://news.sky.com/story/theresa-villiers-mp-failed-to-declare-she-owned-shell-shares-worth-70-000-while-working-as-environment-secretary-12937653#:~:text=A former Conservative minister failed,register of members' financial interests.

Just put in both, no-one will object to an extra bit of slagging off

How do we stop the consumer roller coaster without putting half of China back into more poverty?
I don't think it's worth worrying about.
When we hit the tipping point (not if - it's just a question of time), we'll all suddenly find ourselves in poverty one way or another. Consumerism will hit the rocks everywhere pretty sharpish. Food, water, shelter, and land that's habitable will become the priority for much of the world.

mudsticks

Squire
I don't think it's worth worrying about.
When we hit the tipping point (not if - it's just a question of time), we'll all suddenly find ourselves in poverty one way or another. Consumerism will hit the rocks everywhere pretty sharpish. Food, water, shelter, and land that's habitable will become the priority for much of the world.

And the Chinese population are less likely to have forgotten the art of growing food for themselves.

Top Bottom