Climate Crisis: Are we doing enough?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
I don't think it's worth worrying about.
When we hit the tipping point (not if - it's just a question of time), we'll all suddenly find ourselves in poverty one way or another. Consumerism will hit the rocks everywhere pretty sharpish. Food, water, shelter, and land that's habitable will become the priority for much of the world.

The waiting list in these parts, for an allotment, is years, I had best get my name down quickly.

Plenty of racing pigeons flying about, I will have to learn how to gut and pluck one, before ASDA it emptied by looters.

Ian H

Legendary Member
Are we talking Roman numerals? parchment or stone??

(Waits for the predictably sarcastic response from Matticus)
You took your time.

Rusty Nails

Country Member
Oooh interesting ..

Which was the third sort ?

'Middle'

??

back in the 1960s I passed an exam, 'O' level I believe, in 'Use of English', which IIRC was less concerned with the specific rules of grammar but more about comprehension and the practical use of English in daily life.

Piqued my interest now so a trip to the loft is on the agenda.

mudsticks

Squire
back in the 1960s I passed an exam, 'O' level I believe, in 'Use of English', which IIRC was less concerned with the specific rules of grammar but more about comprehension and the practical use of English in daily life.

Piqued my interest now so a trip to the loft is on the agenda.

Careful on that lad-derrrrrr..

😱

Unkraut

Master of the Inane Comment
Are we talking Roman numerals? parchment or stone??
I've still got one of my O level questions:
1691759699679.jpeg

When we hit the tipping point (not if - it's just a question of time), we'll all suddenly find ourselves in poverty one way or another. Consumerism will hit the rocks everywhere pretty sharpish. Food, water, shelter, and land that's habitable will become the priority for much of the world.
The trouble with tipping points is the number that so far have come and gone. Al Gore was heavily into this. AOC and her 'we've only got 12 years left'. Doesn't breed confidence.

Also by way of comment, I can't speak for the UK but life here is one incessant round of doom-mongering and instilling fear. Any flood or fire is put down to climate change. The problem is if you are in a state of panic you are more likely to enact stupid measure to counteract the perceived threat. For example, making the cost of energy the highest in Europe leading to rumblings of alarm that industries will start to relocate to countries where they haven't done this (like America). A climate neutral Germany would save 0.0326 degrees of warming (can't remember the exact figure but it was something like that). Now this doesn't of itself mean you shouldn't do anything, but what is the point of losing your industries for them only to reappear in countries with the biggest emissions - America, China, India?

matticus

Guru
Also by way of comment, I can't speak for the UK but life here is one incessant round of doom-mongering and instilling fear. Any flood or fire is put down to climate change. The problem is if you are in a state of panic you are more likely to enact stupid measure to counteract the perceived threat.

By way of comment: if you want to avoid all inconvenient change, you will seize on any narrative that portrays the problems as insignificant.
Every time winter arrives, you will say "ah look how cold it is - why isn't "Global Warming" stopping this?!? "

mudsticks

Squire
Ship Yard, Fish Farm...bloody luxury.

When I were a lad I had to work crawling into cesspits at country mansions trying to salvage bits of food for their servants to eat.

It were a hard life but did me no harm.
You could have continued the watery theme and have claimed 'apprentice to the mudlarks assistant'

I've still got one of my O level questions:
View attachment 4390

The trouble with tipping points is the number that so far have come and gone. Al Gore was heavily into this. AOC and her 'we've only got 12 years left'. Doesn't breed confidence.

Also by way of comment, I can't speak for the UK but life here is one incessant round of doom-mongering and instilling fear. Any flood or fire is put down to climate change. The problem is if you are in a state of panic you are more likely to enact stupid measure to counteract the perceived threat. For example, making the cost of energy the highest in Europe leading to rumblings of alarm that industries will start to relocate to countries where they haven't done this (like America). A climate neutral Germany would save 0.0326 degrees of warming (can't remember the exact figure but it was something like that). Now this doesn't of itself mean you shouldn't do anything, but what is the point of losing your industries for them only to reappear in countries with the biggest emissions - America, China, India?
Which is why countries are supposed to work together to collectively reduce emissions, not to just shove them from here to there.

Hence we have international agreements to which we sign up .

The UK is ignoring it's undertakings, by giving new licences to extract oil, this weakens international solidarity on this, in addition to being against how collective decarbonisation works.

The science shows that extreme weather events are being exacerbated by global heating
We are already experiencing those, the data is clear, plus some of us are experiencing them directly if our work and lives are climate dependant..

BoldonLad

You could have continued the watery theme and have claimed 'apprentice to the mudlarks assistant'

Which is why countries are supposed to work together to collectively reduce emissions, not to just shove them from here to there.

Hence we have international agreements to which we sign up .

The UK is ignoring it's undertakings, by giving new licences to extract oil, this weakens international solidarity on this, in addition to being against how collective decarbonisation works.

The science shows that extreme weather events are being exacerbated by global heating
We are already experiencing those, the data is clear, plus some of us are experiencing them directly if our work and lives are climate dependant..

Licences to explore for oil/gas, I believe, (ie Exploration Licences)

The licence to extract oil/gas is a separate licence.

Last edited:

mudsticks

Squire

mudsticks

Squire

BoldonLad

Even if it were the former - you think that wouldn't lead to the latter??

"Oh yeah we invested in exploration and found some oil - but it's ok we'll just leave it there "

We could be world leaders on this.
Instead we're dragging our heels.

https://www.theguardian.com/environ...arming-uk-green-investment-says-net-zero-tsar

erm... yes... oil/gas is often found, but, not extracted for various reasons.

According to PE that well-known Murdoch mouth piece, they ARE Exploration licences, no "Even if".

"Old Sparky" even seems to think it is not a bad idea.

No reason why we cannot be investing in green technologies as well, it is not an either or choice.

Last edited:

mudsticks

Squire
erm... yes... oil/gas is often found, but, not extracted for various reasons.
https://www.energylivenews.com/2022...ight-six-new-oil-and-gas-fields-in-north-sea/

https://www.reuters.com/business/energy/uk-grant-hundreds-new-north-sea-oil-gas-licences-2023-07-31/

LONDON, July 31 (Reuters) - Britain on Monday committed to granting hundreds of licences for North Sea oil and gas extraction as part of efforts to become more energy independent, drawing criticism from environmental campaigners.

BoldonLad

https://www.energylivenews.com/2022...ight-six-new-oil-and-gas-fields-in-north-sea/

https://www.reuters.com/business/energy/uk-grant-hundreds-new-north-sea-oil-gas-licences-2023-07-31/

LONDON, July 31 (Reuters) - Britain on Monday committed to granting hundreds of licences for North Sea oil and gas extraction as part of efforts to become more energy independent, drawing criticism from environmental campaigners.

Corr they found that quickly, old Rishi only granted the Exploration Licences last week.

With your "A" level English, remind me, what does "allegedly" mean?

Last edited:
Top Bottom