Climate Crisis: Are we doing enough?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

icowden

Legendary Member
Best not to live downwind. Maybe someone can explain how they will be as safe as reasonably safe new ones.
Even LFP batteries are not totally safe but these certainly may be Lithium Ion.
What are you on about? The wind isn't involved?

The batteries are safe because they have had extensive testing in cars. These are just batteries that don't hold enough charge to meet car standards (i.e. <70% to 80%capacity), but en masse can still store a lot of energy.

icowden

Legendary Member
Aged batteries have more dentrites and thus become more a danger.
Apple throttled the power to reduce danger so I wonder if Tesla will do the same.
Is there a danger or will they just short out and those cells stop working? Remember an EV battery is not an iphone battery and there is considerable management software involved to ensure that the battery doesn't go boom.

albion

Guru
Phones, especially high end phones have good monitoring software. It is made easier by the fact that there is only one battery to monitor.
Contrast that to an ebike which might have 40 to monitor and a car 4000+.

icowden

Legendary Member
I fail to see the point in making them more visible. Simply trains polluting speed merchants brake and then speed up later.
I think a fleet of cheap speed detection drones would increase compliance. Can't be that hard to implement?
Not worth bothering with. EVs will solve the problem either through tech limiting your ability to speed or through a desire to preserve range.

Ian H

Legendary Member
In discussion about the climate crisis, I said that ice cap melt affects us adversely both by directly increasing sea levels and by decreasing the amount of ice reflecting heat from the sun, and that changes in sea temperature could cause the ocean currents to shift, altering Western European weather significantly. Or words to that effect.

The response from my friend was that nature had been for ever changing, that tectonic plates were still moving & we couldn't do anything to stop them, so what was the point of recycling your plastic. (I have précised a long, rambling reply, but I think I have kept the essence).

bobzmyunkle

In discussion about the climate crisis, I said that ice cap melt affects us adversely both by directly increasing sea levels and by decreasing the amount of ice reflecting heat from the sun, and that changes in sea temperature could cause the ocean currents to shift, altering Western European weather significantly. Or words to that effect.

The response from my friend was that nature had been for ever changing, that tectonic plates were still moving & we couldn't do anything to stop them, so what was the point of recycling your plastic. (I have précised a long, rambling reply, but I think I have kept the essence).
Was alcohol involved? I have a friend who's last line of argument is that he 'just knows' he's better off under the Torys.

albion

Guru
A suggestion to ban cars from cities makes sense. Cars being near infeasible to save the inhabited planet, a city car ban is a good initial compromise

icowden

Legendary Member
A suggestion to ban cars from cities makes sense. Cars being near infeasible to save the inhabited planet, a city car ban is a good initial compromise
It is, but it needs a bit of thought. Lets say that you live in Worcestershire but work in Birmingham. You still need to be able to get to Birmingham. In Worcester they have a new parkway station which is expressly designed for people to park up and get the train into the centre of Worcester or Birmingham. Not every city has that sort of facility.

Top Bottom