Climate Crisis: Are we doing enough?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
You are using mathematics and not evidence. For example, were I to drive to work, I would not pass through any 20mph zone. My wife did not when she worked, nor do either of my children who have to use a car for their commutes. - And both children have flown the nest.

I would imagine there are thousands if not hundreds of thousands of commuters in a similar position. So where is the "likelyness", and where is the evidence that people are more likely to use their phones in a 20mph zone, if their work trip starts or finishes in that 20mph zone?

Your evidence in relation to motorists and slower speeds is where?
No like i said the numbers give an indication that you family does not use an 20 zone doesn't mean the other 78% doesn't either, but there is also other data like traffic violations, i have to go with local reports but if you look at them when they get published you see and clear difference between the kind of offences, and phones offences are much more often in 20 zones.

Slower speeds results in higher risk taking? Can't wait to see the science behind that.
Je-zus if you want to dispute and point, maybe read it first, if i explain it again it would be the 3rd time, put some effort in please

AndyRM

Elder Goth
No like i said the numbers give an indication that you family does not use an 20 zone doesn't mean the other 78% doesn't either, but there is also other data like traffic violations, i have to go with local reports but if you look at them when they get published you see and clear difference between the kind of offences, and phones offences are much more often in 20 zones.

Je-zus if you want to dispute and point, maybe read it first, if i explain it again it would be the 3rd time, put some effort in please

Oh, I read it, and understood what you were trying to say. However, you're the one claiming some sort of scientific basis, which you can't.

Ian H

Guru
We're just home from a talk by the wonderfully-named Sir Ghillean Prance about the Amazon rain forests. His new book on the subject is dedicated to President Lula. As concerning as the Amazon destruction is, he says the almost total destruction of the Atlantic coastal rain forest, of which 7% remains, and of the high savannah, now mostly given over to soya bean production, is at least equally as serious. And there's now new deforestation happening in Peru.
Chatting to him beforehand he was decrying the 'dumbing-down' of exhibits at Kew since he left. He also asked us to sign a Change petition to stop the removal of Kew's Herbarium to Reading.
A thoroughly thought-provoking evening.

Added: https://www.change.org/p/keep-the-kew-herbarium-at-kew

Last edited:
Oh, I read it, and understood what you were trying to say. However, you're the one claiming some sort of scientific basis, which you can't.
if have not the energy to look it up but it is an existing scientific consensus. so i leave it at this, if i find it anytime soon i will update.

We're just home from a talk by the wonderfully-named Sir Ghillean Prance about the Amazon rain forests. His new book on the subject is dedicated to President Lula. As concerning as the Amazon destruction is, he says the almost total destruction of the Atlantic coastal rain forest, of which 7% remains, and of the high savannah, now mostly given over to soya bean production, is at least equally as serious. And there's now new deforestation happening in Peru.
Chatting to him beforehand he was decrying the 'dumbing-down' of exhibits at Kew since he left. He also asked us to sign a Change petition to stop the removal of Kew's Herbarium to Reading.
A thoroughly thought-provoking evening.

Added: https://www.change.org/p/keep-the-kew-herbarium-at-kew
We call bio-mass a renewable source, thus where part of the problem.
https://amp.theguardian.com/world/2...cted-in-deeply-concerning-sign-for-sea-levels

"The research, published in the journal Nature Climate Change, found Antarctica was warming at a rate of between 0.22C and 0.32C per decade, compared to 0.18C per decade predicted by climate models."
Rapid stuff but are we stuffed?
According the XR and the likes we should be flooded and drowned, burned alive etc. etc. by now, but it seems the models are wrong.

albion

Guru
The 'tipping point' was once said to be the year 2100.

Hints are that global catastrophes are on us now. I suppose if 90% of the world's population is lost before a real tipping point reversal certainly might take place. That would depend on whether the 90% is the developed world or not.
Remember, for much of the worlds population, owning a bicycle is a status symbol.

albion

Guru
https://road.cc/content/news/cyclists-object-closure-key-part-cycling-route-303713

Incredible that United Utilities and Cumbria council have conspired to keep part a very important part of NCN 6 closed over much of the last 5 and a half years. Not that any cyclist will fully notice until they reach 'the 8' fence, as the route 6 signpost is still up outside United Utilites Thirlmere office complex.

Last edited:

Bazzer

It seems odd then that the local reports you read about mobile offences in 20 mph zones, do not seem to be reflected in published research, or at least the research I have found.
It is also equally surprising given what appears to be a common complaint of lack of enforcement of 20 mph zones. Unless of course the local reports you read are derived from locals with cameras catching mobile using motorists.

matticus

Guru
https://road.cc/content/news/cyclists-object-closure-key-part-cycling-route-303713

Incredible that United Utilities and Cumbria council have conspired to keep part a very important part of NCN 6 closed over much of the last 5 and a half years. Not that any cyclist will fully notice until they reach 'the 8' fence, as the route 6 signpost is still up outside United Utilites Thirlmere office complex.

It's an absurd situation - the coucnil should be ashamed. (is this the right thread??)

It seems odd then that the local reports you read about mobile offences in 20 mph zones, do not seem to be reflected in published research, or at least the research I have found.
It is also equally surprising given what appears to be a common complaint of lack of enforcement of 20 mph zones. Unless of course the local reports you read are derived from locals with cameras catching mobile using motorists.
No, they do their mobile speed checks every now and then, it just happens to be an 20 zone, it's not that they specifically check there because it is an 20 zone. But sometimes they want to pretend to be on top of crime instead of their officers on top on involuntary participating women so that why they do these checks sometimes.

Top Bottom