Climate Crisis: Are we doing enough?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Unkraut

Master of the Inane Comment
What’s the German word for disproportionate?

Unverhältnismäßig! ^_^

Not very professional of the police if they are overdoing it, but there is a head of steam building up against these 'activists' who are perceived as becoming a professional pain in the neck preventing commuters getting to work, something they themselves don't seem to need to do.

The last I saw on this was a report questioning whether some of the protesters are travelling half way across the country to take part in disruptive activities.

There has been violence against protesters blocking roads - footage on YouTube. I think the violence is wrong, but I can understand the anger behind it.

Unkraut

Overdoing it? This was torture.

I've not found this particular incident but something similar occurred and was on the news and went viral on YT 4 months ago.

The protester was clearly warned painful handholds would be used if he didn't move on, which then occurred. The pain was obvious.

The reaction of the public to the footage was mixed. Some thought it in order - a warning was given - whilst others thought pain inappropriate to peaceful protest.

As no lasting damage was done it didn't seem over the top to me, and I wouldn't call it torture though clearly unpleasant. That said the 'victim' can press charges, as can the public prosecutor if they believe the law has been broken. I would think this is the case if actual injury was caused.

These protests in my opinion are starting to become counterproductive, serving only to get people's backs up.

The right to peaceful protest has to be balanced with the right to carry out your occupation unhindered.

AndyRM

Elder Goth
What netherworld is this? Violence is wrong, but if you're given fair warning that someone is going to hurt you then it's cool? Wow. But I suppose when your set of beliefs is based on a book filled with violence, it's understandable to accept it.

What netherworld is this? Violence is wrong, but if you're given fair warning that someone is going to hurt you then it's cool? Wow. But I suppose when your set of beliefs is based on a book filled with violence, it's understandable to accept it.

It’s every abuser’s justification:

If you don’t stop crying I’ll give you something to cry about.

If you don’t stop worshipping other gods I will kill you all.

If you’d done as I asked I wouldn’t have needed to give you that black eye.

If you’d just been nicer to me I wouldn’t have been forced to rape you.

albion

Guru
Tory Party Election Manifesto.

'Britain is too small to bother to save the planet'.

Unkraut

So torture OK as long as you announce you're about to do it? Got you
This wasn't torture, not as defined under the law. If it were it would be illegal and the recipient of it free to seek legal redress.
It's fine, pain deliberately inflicted by the authorities is no problem so long as its forewarned and sanctioned by 'Christians'
It was warned about by the police acting under the law. The pain, which did no lasting damage, was easily avoided by ending an illegal form of protest.

I can't say I particularly liked it, but what is your alternative to the use of reasonable force?

This incident had absolutely nothing to do with religion.

mudsticks

Squire
This wasn't torture, not as defined under the law. If it were it would be illegal and the recipient of it free to seek legal redress.

It was warned about by the police acting under the law. The pain, which did no lasting damage, was easily avoided by ending an illegal form of protest.

I can't say I particularly liked it, but what is your alternative to the use of reasonable force?

This incident had absolutely nothing to do with religion.

As someone claiming to be a Christian, surely all things need to be viewed through that lens ??

Or are you only a part timer.?

Agents of the authorities deliberately inflicting physical trauma upon non violent protestors - a manoeuvre that it has been shown can also cause permanent injury - that passes through your 'christian' moral filter does it.?

Also I've also never quite understood how people who claim to appreciate 'God's Creation*' and largesse are really rather lassez faire when it comes to being concerned about its preservation for future generations.

It seems contradictory at the very least.

*I'm not religious, but I really appreciate the importance of a livable planet - I appreciate it's great beauty too.
Understanding and conserving our complex ecosystems and the environment upon which we all depend for our survival is the most vital task in front of us

It's imperative, both morally and practically - it's not 'ours' to destroy.
It doesn't require believing in a man made 'God' to see that as the right thing to do.

In fact I get the feeling that some religious people seem to think that God 'gave' us this planet and it's resources, to do with as we see fit - that belief is perhaps part of the problem.

I'm referring to an incident 4 months ago where no damage was done.

In the incident where wrists were broken I would be almost certain the victim could sue for compensation.
You think that a restraint technique that clearly can cause injury should be allowable,?

Deliberately inflicting pain on people can cause long term psychological trauma (a continuing pain)

'Compensation' after the fact is no substitute for not inflicting trauma in the first place.
Everything is not 'made better' by an ensuing legal action, even if that is successful.

The technique should not be used, it's state sanctioned violence - but here you are approving it.

Top Bottom