Death penalty

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 28

We've messed up the criminal justice system so badly that we going to have to start executing people...

Be OK as soon as Labour get in I'm sure, they'll double the amount of officers and up their wages by 20%.

multitool

Shaman
I'm sure the billions of pounds of public money that appear to have evaporated from Covid contracts and into the pockets of Tory donors and mates of Tory politicians could have been spent on something that benefitted the bastion and not just the super rich.

Shep disagrees.

winjim

Welcome yourself into the new modern crisis
Be OK as soon as Labour get in I'm sure, they'll double the amount of officers and up their wages by 20%.

I'm not a Labour supporter and I don't know if the way to improve the criminal justice system is necessarily to reinforce the structures of that very system.

It might be the best we can hope for right now though.

multitool

Shaman
The Conservative party exists purely to represent the interests of capital, which is why allowing the very rich minority to get richer is their primary aim, and why we frequently see them attacking and victim-blaming the poor for being poor because the Conservatives do not want to modify the status quo that serves them so well and address the structural reasons that keep the poor in poverty.

I mean it couldn't be clearer when you look at who donates to the Tory party (the wealthy) and who donates to Labour (the representatives of the working class).

Of course they aren't going to fund the CJS. Why would they? The rich are isolated from all crimes except their own, and money and influence does that job nicely.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 28

I'm not a Labour supporter and I don't know if the way to improve the criminal justice system is necessarily to reinforce the structures of that very system.

It might be the best we can hope for right now though.

I only mention Labour as in reality who else is ever going to get in power other than the Tories.

glasgowcyclist

Über Member
Albert Pierrepoint concluded that capital punishment was not a deterrent.

If it really were a deterrent, the safest place on earth would be Texas where between 1976 - 2020 it executed 570 people. It has a homicide rate about six times that of the UK.

Reactions: C R

AuroraSaab

Legendary Member
Most crimes aren't premeditated so it would only be a possible deterrent in a small number of cases. Life without parole would fulfil the same function as most of the pro cp arguments.

If there's any merit in a pro capital punishment argument, I think it's only that the death penalty might bring a sense of closure to the victim's family in a way that imprisonment doesn't. They wouldn't have to endure the likes Ian Brady having years of notoriety and news coverage whilst jailed for example, continually reopening the wound.

It would be a completely unworkable system though to base capital punishment on the wishes of the family obviously, and in some cases, like Shipman, families seem to feel that he managed to escape responsibility.

We have the money and the knowledge to improve the criminal justice system, including dealing with the most horrific of offenders, there just isn't the will to do it.

AuroraSaab

Legendary Member
Deterrent has long been one of the general wider aims of the criminal justice system and it has it's place, though I don't think it applies that well to crimes of murder. Surely the biggest deterrent to the vast majority of crimes is fear of being caught and charged. And for many crimes we just don't have that any more. Nothing the criminal justice system offers is much of a deterrent if the chance of actually being arrested is low.

multitool

Shaman
Deterrent has long been one of the general wider aims of the criminal justice system and it has it's place, though I don't think it applies that well to crimes of murder. Surely the biggest deterrent to the vast majority of crimes is fear of being caught and charged. And for many crimes we just don't have that any more. Nothing the criminal justice system offers is much of a deterrent if the chance of actually being arrested is low.

Murder clear up rate is pretty high, historically about 90%, which suggests that either murderers do not care about the likelihood of incarceration, or that most murders are not premeditated.

Compare with rape clear up rate which is below 4%.

Reactions: C R
Top Bottom