Death penalty

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

spen666

Those of us who work in the Criminal Justice and have experience of people being wrongly convicted ( sometimes later rectified) would not support the death penalty as it is irreversible.

Even so called forensic proof is not infallible.

Remember George Bulsara convicted of murder of Jill Dando on Basis of forensic evidence
Maguire 7 convicted on forensic evidence of IRA crimes

To name just two.
In relation to DNA evidence - this again is not infallible as the instance of identical DNA between members of Afro Carribean community has never been explained

This is without considering the morals or ethics - such as killing is wrong, so we will kill you. A bit like Animal Farm some are more equal than others -ie state sponsored killers are ok, but non state sponsored killers are not

matticus

Guru
He's not wrong though is he...🙄
Tory deputy chairman Lee Anderson in favour of the death penalty:

“nobody has ever committed a crime after being executed”

I reckon he's onto something ... after all, no Tory has fecked over the electorate after being executed.

matticus

Guru
Re: technology improving conviction rates etc

It's been weird watching a few period police dramas recently. The (excellent) Vienna Blood, Ripper Street etc - they contain convincing forensic procedural stuff, and you find yourself wondering how on EARTH they ever identified+prosecuted ANYONE without the aid of modern stuff like blood tests, CCTV, phone logs ... etc ... etc !!!

D

Deleted member 28

I applaud you all, I for one would have no remorse for having someone killed where there is absolutely no question of their guilt.

As for prevention, it's just plain old justice and revenge for me, f**k 'em.

AuroraSaab

Legendary Member
For me it's not a question of whether certain individuals deserve it, more a question whether as a policy it's morally right. Could society's need for retribution be met in other ways? Longer sentencing, more whole life tariffs, and building more confidence in the criminal justice system overall might satisfy most people.

Reactions: C R

multitool

Shaman
Uk murder rate 1.8 per 100k. US is 5.3 per 100k. Only one of these has the death penalty, so on face value it appears to be an ineffective deterrent

Does society need retribution at this level when the corollary is almost certain killing of innocents by the state? Not in my name.

Last edited:

Xipe Totec

Something nasty in the woodshed
He's not wrong though is he...🙄
Tory deputy chairman Lee Anderson in favour of the death penalty:

“nobody has ever committed a crime after being executed”

If he'd like to start on his own organised crime syndicate sorry, political party of psychopaths, monsters, sex pests, liars, thieves and assorted crooks then I think I might be able to put aside some of my wokey, lefty, hand-wringing, do-gooding principles for a bit.

For the Greater Good, like. 👍

As for prevention, it's just plain old justice and revenge for me, f**k 'em.

Revenge for you? How many times have you been murdered?

Top Bottom