Death penalty

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

multitool

Shaman
Then he was very lonely, what's your point?

a philosophical one

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
Uk murder rate 1.8 per 100k. US is 5.3 per 100k. Only one of these has the death penalty, so on face value it appears to be an ineffective deterrent

Does society need retribution at this level when the corollary is almost certain killing of innocents by the state? Not in my name.

There are other differences between UK and USA, which MAY have an impact on the number killed eg firearms culture. Also, are the quoted figures comparable, ie taking into account the various "grades" of killings (eg manslaughter, murder, etc).

For what it is worth, I am not in favour of the death penalty.

D

Deleted member 28

Free up space in the prisons, save money and rid the world of some scum.

Win, win if you ask me bring it back.

If in highly the unlikely occurrence a family member or friend of a murder victim finds a little comfort in said execution then who are we to judge, oh hang on a minute, it'll be you lefties.

multitool

Shaman
There are other differences between UK and USA, which MAY have an impact on the number killed eg firearms culture. Also, are the quoted figures comparable, ie taking into account the various "grades" of killings (eg manslaughter, murder, etc).

For what it is worth, I am not in favour of the death penalty.

That is why I said "on the face of it", because there will be a raft of sociological factors at play.

However, everybody has access to a murder weapon, and besides, I was quoting the figures in relation to the death penalty being a deterrent. I wasn't commenting on whether carrying out a murder was more convenient or easier in the US. In general, trying to unpick the statistics is a bit beyond the scope of me on a cycling forum.

multitool

Shaman
Free up space in the prisons, save money and rid the world of some scum

When you look at the legal costs involved, it isnt a money-saving option.

Win, win if you ask me bring it back.

Nobody did.

If in highly the unlikely occurrence a family member or friend of a murder victim finds a little comfort in said execution then who are we to judge, oh hang on a minute, it'll be you lefties.

And the righties. CP policy is anti death penalty

Ian H

Guru

glasgowcyclist

Über Member
Free up space in the prisons

Wrong. In the USA appeals against a death sentence last as much as 20 years, so people still need to be housed in prison.

save money

Wrong. Lifetime incarceration is a lot cheaper than implementing the death penalty. Some basic searching will show you that, if you care to undertake any.

and rid the world of some scum

As long as you’re content to rid the world of a few innocent people too. Are you?

Top Bottom