Death penalty

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 28

Wrong. In the USA appeals against a death sentence last as much as 20 years, so people still need to be housed in prison.

Wrong. Lifetime incarceration is a lot cheaper than implementing the death penalty. Some basic searching will show you that, if you care to undertake any.

As long as you’re content to rid the world of a few innocent people too. Are you?

Once the 20yrs is up they'll be gone so won't the rest of their sentence time be saved.

Explain if you will.

I'm more than content with ridding the world of proven, guilty murderers which was my initial opening statement, can you read ok?

multitool

Shaman
"Guilt" is a technical relationship between charge and evidence. Not all guilty people are guilty.

Reactions: C R

Beebo

Veteran
I'm more than content with ridding the world of proven, guilty murderers which was my initial opening statement, can you read ok?

But this brings with it a problem.
Define “beyond reasonable doubt”
Who decides that they definitely did it? Can we execute the ones we are 100% certain about, but just imprison the ones we are 99% certain about?

I suspect juries would struggle to convict people if they knew they were heading to the gallows.

D

Deleted member 28

But this brings with it a problem.
Define “beyond reasonable doubt”
Who decides that they definitely did it? Can we execute the ones we are 100% certain about, but just imprison the ones we are 99% certain about?

I suspect juries would struggle to convict people if they knew they were heading to the gallows.

That's 1% (using your figures) that won't be troubling society again.

A certain killer caught on camera killing a soldier springs to mind.

I'm sure there's no chance of the death penalty being reinstated so you lefties will have plenty of issues to occupy your time with without worrying about this one.

glasgowcyclist

Über Member
Once the 20yrs is up they'll be gone so won't the rest of their sentence time be saved.

You are assuming the appeal is unsuccessful.

Explain if you will.

No problem, the explanation can be found at this link

Innocent people will be at risk of death. Do you acknowledge that? Will that affect your view on capital punishment?

Ian H

Guru
There is the odd area where it might be less controversial.

View: https://twitter.com/Otto_English/status/1623735333228535808

icowden

Legendary Member
Free up space in the prisons, save money and rid the world of some scum.
It would free up almost no space as very few people would be sentenced to death. It would be more expensive, not less and be massively ineffective with protracted legal battles at the taxpayers expense to appeal the penalty.

If you want to free up space and save money, invest in addiction rehabilitation programmes, mental health services and adult education.
If you want to do something with the worst members of society who you feel deserve death, get them working in a chain gang, sewing mail sacks, and let their proceeds go to the victims of crime. Confiscate their assets. There are far more creative ways to keep them miserable for the rest of their lives. Why shorten them uneccessarily?

D

Deleted member 28

If you want to do something with the worst members of society who you feel deserve death, get them working in a chain gang, sewing mail sacks, and let their proceeds go to the victims of crime. Confiscate their assets. There are far more creative ways to keep them miserable for the rest of their lives. Why shorten them uneccessarily?

You lot wouldn't stand for that, the poor misunderstood little darlings need reassurance and understanding.

Salty seadog

You lot wouldn't stand for that, the poor misunderstood little darlings need reassurance and understanding.

You don't seem to want to address the point about innocent people being killed by the state. Would that not trouble you?

After all it could be you.

You never know.

Reactions: C R
D

Deleted member 28

You don't seem to want to address the point about innocent people being killed by the state. Would that not trouble you?

After all it could be you.

You never know.

FFS I've said more than once only if they're proven beyond doubt to be guilty.

Are you trying to tell me not one person in prison, in the UK is definitely guilty of murder?

I clearly don't want innocent people put to death but I believe there is enough technology to prove in certain cases 100%.

Top Bottom